Thread: Turbo heat shields (Rossion)

Smile Turbo heat shields (Rossion)

CMP is coming up and got car prepped. Cooling seems to be good on Rossion, but didn't want to take any chances. Already put on muffler heat shields from Rossion. Decided I would put on Turbo blankets/heat shields (at least for event) so I didn't end up with some engine bay issue.

There is also some controversy regarding turbo blankets. Rossion offers them on their site and many people use them. Supposedly they prevent heat sink on the compressor side so you get a slightly more dense intake without having to up the psi and may also improve turbo response. They of course trap radiant heat on the exhaust impeller side and prevent high engine bay temps (which are an issue with our cars). This may also improve intercooler function as well in addition to prevention of heat related damage. The down side is they may cause earlier turbo failure (or so I have read) if you do not let your turbos cool down prior to shut down as they retain heat and cause 'coking' of the oil withing the turbo if still too hot at shut down (which leads to eventual bearing failure). A turbo timer may be a good option, or just be smart about waiting on shut down. There is even the possibility this isn't needed-period on a Rossion as there are metal heat shields and airflow is reasonably good.

My own engine compartment is fairly cool after running, but on inspection of the front O2 sensor the heat fabric around wiring was showing burning and I had a (probably unrelated) O2 sensor failure> I will write a separate post on that later. Because of signs of early heat damage, I decided to go with the turbo blankets.

I looked around and found: DEI turbo blanket kits for Garrett T28 (including header/downpipe wrap and wiring) http://www.designengineering.com/cat...rbo-shield-kit. I wanted to put something in that wouldn't require any adjusting and the T25/28 kit has cut outs for wastegate actuator and it looked well made. These usually run around $230 ea.. but found them on Amazon for $149.22 ea including shipping: http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010149-Tit.../dp/B004XO7KB6. Amazingly- the blanket without kit is $230 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010148-Tit.../dp/B004XO7K84.

Install-

Front turbo: I put the front one on through the battery opening with car on stands. This is a seriously tight fit to get in there... yet another reason to move your battery to cabin. I don't believe this could be done from the top as the heat shield has to be released from the downpipe and the U-bolts are on the Cat which can only be accessed from below. Disconnect O2 sensor cable (connector is above) so you don't accidentally pull it and cut/break it. Let cable dangle loosely out of way. Loosen U-bolt that holds heat shield in place from below. See pic taken from below (blanket is installed in pic but hard to see). The is an upper bolt that still holds metal shield, but I was able to easily push shield aside and work without undoing this bolt. Blanket easily slips over turbo. Adjust to make sure the wastegate actuator arm is not blocked. Use included wire to attach to hooks on blanket. I found it easiest to make a large loop already twisted, then stretch taught and curl it to blindly pass around turbo inlet. Fish around a bit and you will *just* be able to catch the far hook- then attach to near hook and twist tight. Took a few tries. I put the old metal heat shield back on, but slid up just a bit to make room for blanket.

Rear turbo: Access from above (not below like I tried at first..). Take off air box, it is super easy. There is an insulated rectangular plate below it that will just lift off and you are looking at turbo and exhaust. See pic with everything off and arrow pointing to plate. Put on blanket from above (much easier, see pic). I took a picture from below/rear as I removed the rear tray thinking that was the way to go. Made a good pic though, you can see how well they fit.

Start up, be prepared for some smoke for a few minutes. I seriously thought something was wrong. It took about 2-3 good drives before I couldn't smell them. Now it's not noticeable. Perfomance wise, I can't say I notice a difference. The car might be slightly quieter, but that is subtle as well. I can say that the engine bay definitely seems cooler. I can easily stick my hand near the turbo right after driving and I believe the rear air box is also cooler. Unfortunately, I don't have any objective measurements to back this up. I'll let you know if any issues at CMP or other wise.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

CMP followup.
    I spent a fair amount of time on track running hard. Don't know exact laps/sessions.. but burned through over 10 gal gas before lunch and continued into afternoon as well.

Every time I finished a session I did a very gentle cool down. Came in to pit and let car idle for a few minutes with clam open. I could easily place hands anywhere in engine compartment without heat issues. It was actually surprisingly cool and someone else mentioned this too. I also had zero heat soak issues and car seemed strong at start and end of each session. This could be just the difference in the way Rossion got the cooling sorted, but the turbo shields probably didn't hurt either. I also have muffler heat shields which may make a difference as well.

Anyways, they seem to work fine and may be helpful.