Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedo works sporadically

Default Speedo works sporadically

When I first start to drive the speedo does not work. After .5 miles the needle jumps around quite a bit. After several miles the needle settles down and indicates as it should. Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Mark

have you tried the fix that is shown in the built manual?

Not yet.

Set the sender gap a bit tighter. If memory serves I set mine at about .030 when my speedo went nuts.

Jeff

I've checked the speedo sensor and it works as per the manual. Still the problem exists.

Mark

I had a customer with the same problem. There is a wire from the back of the spedo to the navigation computer that tells the navigation speed from the wheel sensor. If the navigation uses GPS to calculate speed the wire is not used and caped with a piece of shrink wrap. The ends of the wire can still touch causing a short. Separate the ends and that should take care of it.

If my Q1 sits in the sun on a hot day, my RPM needle jumps all over for the first 1/2 mile.

Matt,

Did you happen to look at tach when you pulled gauge cluster? I am having the tach jumping too. It was really apparent when I left Atlanta and car had been sitting hot (usually not so obvious). Must have something to do with heat as you pointed out. Would be nice to figure out why, I suspect the early Rossions all have this to a degree.

Ditto, saw my Q1 tach bouncing around after the car sat in the heat outside a restaurant for an hour. The other 99% of the time, the car's driven from being in a relatively cool garage, and the tach's always rock solid.

I found the Speedometer problem some time ago. It is in the cable attached to the sensor. I ended up replacing the sensor and all is well. There was an intermentent that was not dectable. All values had checked out as normal.

The replacement part no. is: Telemecanique XS608B1PAL2.

Mark