Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 7 1/4" triple disk clutch

Hi Jeff

Did the measurements today... again I confirm ALL my clutch splines engage on the gearbox shaft.

The issue is you have the wrong clutch plates... mine are ALL the same and are offset towards the gearbox by 7mm from the flywheel side face of the discs.

So the first plates splines start 7mm towards the gearbox... so if I convert that to inches (0.275) then add your space to flywheel figure then its 1.655 (1.38+0.275).. your measurement for the spacer to gearbox splines is 1.63!!!
    I believe the amount of none engagement you have is .28 which is exactly the amount of offset my discs have?

looking at your clutch discs they are different to mine, mine are solid not paddles... what you need to do is find the same plates as mine.

Thanks for checking, Andy, that makes sense! Even if I'd have to get custom hubs made over here, that would be less expensive than a flywheel. In the meantime, I'm going to run the gear drive disk set since I have an inch of engagement and both clutch suppliers said that was more than enough.

Jeff

I forgot about this thread....Jeff, how did that clutch work out? Good engagement? Nice to blip?

Makes me wonder if this setup's applicable to the Q1, if the parts used are similar, same, or interchangeable.

Oooops...nevermind, I see where this subject's picked up in another thread.
    Last edited by ZeroDown; 01-02-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Found my answer in another thread.

I'm very happy with the clutch, but make no mistake, it's a racing clutch with aggressive disks. If you try to slip it hard (lots of revs), it will chatter. I've had to become a better driver to pull away from a stop smoothly.

The blips are a lot of fun. With the hugely decreased moment of inertia from the lightweight flywheel/clutch and damper, the engine revs very quickly. The other side of that coin is that it also de-revs quickly, so I've also had to become a better shifter. Fortunately, despite being an old dog, I can learn new tricks.

Jeff

I also love my clutch... the drop in revs between gearchanges is the only downside as far as i'm concerned... i'm going to make the ecu blip the throttle on downshifts to help.

worth mentioning the reduction in mass also reduces lag...

Sorry for dredging up an ancient thread, but I have a relevant update. There was some question about transaxle input shaft spline engagement with my 7 1/4" triple disk clutch setup (which is different than AndyGTT's). Based on the input shaft coloration pattern, I can confirm that my setup provides a solid inch of spline engagement. I don't have a factory clutch to measure, but my guess is that 1 inch is more spline engagement than the factory single disk. There is zero sign of spline wear. I snapped this pic about 10 minutes ago.

Here's the pic I just shot of the wear pattern on the flywheel. No signs of overheating, scoring, or any other bad thing. The flywheel and disks look fine.

Last edited by NobleM400; 02-17-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added pic of flywheel
    -------------------------
    Jeff
    Noble parts for sale, see my Noble website: http://Noblecars.org

Jeff i am not sure that the factory engagement but you have plenty

What kind of power are you running because the CenterForce single disc if hold over 500 whp with no problem