Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7 1/4" triple disk clutch

OK, but it takes hp to accelerate a rotating mass, so that hp is not available to accelerate the car. It won't amount to much on a dynojet because the engine's rotational acceleration is slow, but I think you'd notice it coming out of a second gear corner.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Looks great! whats the price on that setup?
    I had to launch an archaeological dig to find the receipts.

clutch $680
    bearing $42
    flywheel 500 (ouch! but it's a custom cnc program, so OK)

Labor to adapt the bearing to our slave is TBD because it's not done yet.

Jeff

Release bearing is done. Craig (Top of the) Hill machined an adapter to mount the Powertrain Tech release bearing to the Ford slave piston. As with everything Craig has done for me over the years, it's perfect.

The next step is to replace the master cylinder with a smaller bore because the triple requires half the throw of the stock pressure plate, and I don't want a toggle switch clutch.

Powertrain Tech bearing on the left, Noble-modified Ford on the right. You saw it here first.

Jeff

4. Default

...no dust boots on the slave?...The abrasive dust can play havoc with the seals...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Haines View Post
    ...no dust boots on the slave?...The abrasive dust can play havoc with the seals...
    Yes, well... The stock Ford slave, the Noble-modified Ford slave, and my modified Ford slave all lack a dust boot. The stock and Noble pieces do have the stamped metal umbrella, but I don't know how much that helps in a whirlwind of clutch dust.

BTW, the shiny bit below the bearing in the part on the left is not the slave piston, it's the outside of the slave cylinder. The piston is a molded plastic (!) piece that you can't see in the pics.

Jeff
    Last edited by NobleM400; 04-27-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: deleted extra "jeff" :-)

Thanks for Info, Jeff. I am trying to decide between maybe this system you have here, or just going back to OEM. I already have the Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Maybe useless now, since even Rossion doesnt sell the old style clutches anymore? Or maybe they are compatible.

Looks like around $1500 for what you have so far, plus the cost to modify the master cyl?
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

I simply replaced our original 3/4" Girling master cylinder with a 5/8" Girling from Pegasus. Bolt-in swap for $115. The slave cylinder mod to adapt the Powertrain Tech release bearing ran about $300 for my one-of-a-kind. Craig said he could crank out more of them for less money now that he knows the measurements.

The disk set I have is rated to 900 lb-ft (!), so it should handle far more than the rest of the drivetrain. The unanswered question is how easy the clutch will be to modulate. The smaller master cylinder will help, and I'll look into moving the point where the m/c rod joins with the pedal to decrease master cylinder piston stroke. Steve at Powertrain Tech says that the pressure plate fingers need to move just 5/16" from fully engaged to fully disengaged - about half of what the typical single plate clutch moves. If you don't adjust the pedal to slave cylinder travel ratio, you end up with a binary clutch.

I'll letchy'all know how it works out.

Jeff
    Last edited by NobleM400; 10-20-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Great info. When do you think you will have her on the road?
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

At least 2 more weeks out, and probably double that the way things are going. I'm not getting as much garage time in as I had hoped for, and a lot of things are changing. New engine, refreshed tranny, new clutch design, electric water pump, all the new insulation, new ECU and engine harness, adjustable toe links, finally putting my poly bushings in the rear a-arms, maybe some other stuff that I've forgotten (Edit: like the modified fuel tank and completely redone pump and filter setup).

Jeff
    Last edited by NobleM400; 04-28-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Great info Jeff, what was done and by whom when you "refreshed" the box ? Did you refresh back to stock parts and config ?

Quote Originally Posted by NobleM400 View Post
    At least 2 more weeks out, and probably double that the way things are going. I'm not getting as much garage time in as I had hoped for, and a lot of things are changing. New engine, refreshed tranny, new clutch design, electric water pump, all the new insulation, new ECU and engine harness, adjustable toe links, finally putting my poly bushings in the rear a-arms, maybe some other stuff that I've forgotten.

Jeff
    2004 M12 GTO 3R / 630 HP