Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sequential shift

Default Sequential shift

Dear All,
    OK who's going to be the first. They do a gearchange mechanism that converts the "H" gate to a sequential shifter. They do one that is wire operated. It could be made to fit our Nobles. How cool would that be?

Look for Sequen Shifter...

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/index.html

Regards
    PauL C

I wonder how plug and play it is? Maybe the NSX version (only rear engine one I saw) will work. Price, about $1550 US
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

I played with the one for the Elise. It's weird, takes some getting used to. Installation does take some time as well, especially with the adjustments. There are multiple adjustment points and moving one affects another. It takes some patience to get right.

http://www.sector111.com/handler.cfm...nction=product

Also, there's the issue of feel. The dog legs (2-3, 4-5) feel different from the straight throws. They have a click-click feel instead of single click.

There's no doubt it's faster than the stock H. However, total speed depends on if your right hand is slower or your left foot.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

If nothing else, it gives us a reason to take our cars out of commission for another few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cundy
    Dear All,
    OK who's going to be the first. They do a gearchange mechanism that converts the "H" gate to a sequential shifter. They do one that is wire operated. It could be made to fit our Nobles. How cool would that be?

Look for Sequen Shifter...

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/index.html

Regards
    PauL C

OK, so I was being obtuse, here's the bottom line;

1 Ikeya can convert our "H" pattern shift into a sequential shift; push forward and return action to change down, pull back and return to change up.

2 then over to these guys who can automate a "push forward and return action to change down , pull back and return to change up". Not only that they can cut the throttle for flat clutchless upshifts and blip the throttle for perfect downshifts.

http://www.proshift.co.uk/gallery.php?type=cars&no=22

http://www.proshift.co.uk

Is it all beginning to come together?

1+2 = Paddle shift gearchange on a Noble?

Regards
    PauL C
    Last edited by Paul Cundy; 03-31-2006 at 04:33 PM.

Im pickin up what youre puttin down...

sounds like a lot of work, especially with the clutch and shifting being taken over by a computer, and splicing into the throttle.

how much would a system like that weigh?

I volunteer you as the guinnea pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Brav
    Im pickin up what youre puttin down...

sounds like a lot of work, especially with the clutch and shifting being taken over by a computer, and splicing into the throttle.

how much would a system like that weigh?

I volunteer you as the guinnea pig.
    Brav,
    You've outflanked me, how can I respond?

Weight = minimal, the weight of the custom gearchange + the actuators - the weight of the stock gearchange that's thrown out = minimal weight gain, maybe 3-5Kgs.

Clutch, in fact there's no clutch actuator, on up shifts the control box momentarily (and programably) cuts the ignition so that clutchless gearchanges can be acheived.

Throttle blipping on down changes are managed by a vacuum device on the throttle linkage so again a rather crude but simple installation (and which is totaly user programable).

Now I've done the research and the theory, if only I had the time and money...........

Regards
    Paul C

It's an interesting project. I second your nomination, Paul. I wonder how well it would work, with the Noble tranny being a non-sequential natively.
    RacePrecision GotApex

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxM400
    It's an interesting project. I second your nomination, Paul. I wonder how well it would work, with the Noble tranny being a non-sequential natively.
    Im sure it would work alright

The E46 M3 SMG tranny (also a 6sp Getrag) is nothing more than the exact same tranny that comes with the regular 6sp. They just bolt the electro-hydraulics to it. It worked pretty well

Now, SMGIII, as in the new M5, has a sequential-specific tranny. you couldnt make it into a manual if you tried. plus the gearing is totally different. if you could, you would shift from 1 to 5 to 3 to 2 to 6 to 4 or some rediculous thing. As an aside, they are infact coming out with a regular 6sp on the new M5 to satisfy those customers that hate SMG.

So in summary, it should work pretty well, but not as good as a sequential-specific tranny of course.

Paul, the weight is good news.

Well, paul, you up for it?

The M3 only gains 8kg.

E60 M5 and E46 M3 SMG transmissions

E46 M3 manual transmission
    RacePrecision GotApex