Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uprgades so far, Noble about to arrive... also CF splitter/diffuser?

Thumbs up Uprgades so far, Noble about to arrive... also CF splitter/diffuser?

Time is flying by & our M400 is going to be at 1G in about 3 weeks! So, it's crunch time to figure out exactly which options/upgrades to do. One other very important facet of the process was choosing the best installer. I have decided to go with Greg Robb, they build/run IRL cars & have 20+ years of professional racing experience with full fabrication ability & many connections in the industry to get literally anything you want done on the Noble. And of course he is a great guy, Greg is it.

Thank you everyone for the great information & input about Greg Robb & the Noble, it was invalulable to making my decision.

Here are the things on my list thus far:

Heat Management
    • All heat shielding
    • Liquid ceramic to firewall
    • Proplyene glycol coolant
    • Jet-Hot Coat all of the exhaust system, inc. turbo housing
    • Starter Heat Blanket
    Performance
    • Bell Intercooler
    • Blow-Off Valve (HKS or Tial)
    Electrics/Electronics
    • Booster Plug - Battery terminal relocate
    • Small light weight gel-cell battery (Replaces Optima from 1G) Saves 20lbs + -
    • Gentex Rear View Mirror w/ map lights & home link
    • Install my Inovate Wideband (a pillar mount?)
    • V1 Hard wire
    • twin Hella 118 decible super horns
    Brake System
    • Motul 600 brake fluid

Now the things that I am considering:

Maybe:

Misc.
    • Five Point Harness?
    • Carbon Rear Diffuser?
    • Carbon front Splitter?
    • High flow cats?
    • Add AN fittings to stock fuel tank?
    Brake System
    • Stainless Steel Brake plumbing?
    Heat Management/Cooling
    • Tunnel Cooling System?
    • Transmission cooling system? Is this neccessary?
    • Oil Cooler Fan? Functional at what speeds etc…?
    For those of you Noble owners, what would you do or not do again?
    Anybody done a CF Diffuser/Splitter? Greg Robb is offering these now.

Thank you in advance for your helpful info!

Jonathan M400 #160
    S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

I dont think high flow cats would be necessary. Supposedly removing them doesnt add much power if at all.

I would get some serious heat shielding around the intercooler. And possibly a large heat shield like I had put on my car (and Craigs)

Also, you may want to address the heat near the front turbo, by some ducting, or whatever Greg has in mind.

You may also want to shorten the intake runners. Got a bit more power doing that. Just FYI, you may have to do that anyway, as we had to move the IC mounting spot up quite a bit to get the clam to close behind it. The Bell IC is twice as thick as the factory IC. When you move it back, you lose the space for the K&Ns

New spot:

"Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."
    Noble: 05 M12, M400 turbos, RPI water/oil cooling, RPI Exhaust

Wow! It's going to be great!! Had I only known!

Quote Originally Posted by Brav
    You may also want to shorten the intake runners. Got a bit more power doing that. Just FYI, you may have to do that anyway, as we had to move the IC mounting spot up quite a bit to get the clam to close behind it. The Bell IC is twice as thick as the factory IC. When you move it back, you lose the space for the K&Ns

New spot:

Unless, of course, you use a Faulks IC (Direct bolt in, same thickness, much more efficient that the OEM unit).

Pictures will be forthcoming as soon as I remember to bring my camera home from the office......Doh!

I mentioned it as he said he had already selected that IC.. We shal see who is full of hot air or not..

Jonathan,

I also had mine done at Robb's place. To your list I would add:

* Robb's custom throttle cable and linkage. This unit is heat resistant.
    * fuel cell. If you're serious about tracking this car, it's a reasonable precaution. That said, the AN fittings are appropriate. I didn't lose any capacity going with the fuel cell.

I do have interest in having the 5 point installed, but haven't seen an install yet that put the crotch strap forward of the seat.

I've only had the car on the track once so far and didn't get any sense of how it will handle warm ambients (it was 40F) or digging into the gears more. I think the jury's still out on how best to do IC heatsoak and oil temp mitigation.

Enjoy, and be patient.
    Doug in Cincinnati

Thanks for the advice guys.

Brav, I have not purchased the Bell IC yet. I was about to put the order in with Gerhard. If the Faulks IC has the same heat transfer properties then I could consider using that one instead of the Bell. I just thought that the Bell was the best IC for the Noble & had an OEM type fitment. I wonder if Greg Robb can easily fit it in. I would like to see pics of the Faulks unit!
    - Is the IC heat shield aluminum or stainless, Gregs piece?

Doug, I have heard about the throttle cable that it doesn't seize up when under high heat. Although if installed/routed property the factory cable works flawlessly, is this correct?
    - Fuel cell: I considered it but there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage to replacing the factory tank, other than acurate fuel level readings below 1/4 tank. Has anyone experienced this mis-reading on low fuel level?

I am in Central Florida & the temps from here on untill October can be grueling, so heat mngmt is def top on the list.

Jonathan
    S54 M Coupe Pheonix Yellow/Black (rare bird)
    S52 M Coupe Estoril/Estoril (show queen)
    E60 M5 Dinan S3R Stroker (family hauler)
    997.1TT RST600 (Beast)

gone, but not forgotten...
    #160 M400 Troy Tuned - Red Mica - (RCKT PWR)

Quote Originally Posted by MicaM400
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Brav, I have not purchased the Bell IC yet. I was about to put the order in with Gerhard. If the Faulks IC has the same heat transfer properties then I could consider using that one instead of the Bell. I just thought that the Bell was the best IC for the Noble & had an OEM type fitment. I wonder if Greg Robb can easily fit it in. I would like to see pics of the Faulks unit!
    - Is the IC heat shield aluminum or stainless, Gregs piece?

Doug, I have heard about the throttle cable that it doesn't seize up when under high heat. Although if installed/routed property the factory cable works flawlessly, is this correct?
    - Fuel cell: I considered it but there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage to replacing the factory tank, other than acurate fuel level readings below 1/4 tank. Has anyone experienced this mis-reading on low fuel level?

I am in Central Florida & the temps from here on untill October can be grueling, so heat mngmt is def top on the list.

Jonathan
    Jonathan,

The problem that others have run into when installing the thicker intercoolers (1g's and Bell's) is as Chris has pointed out. The thicker units by themselves fit ok, but they all need a fan and that's where the problem is. It requires some modifications to get the thicker units to fit in the opening with a fan on it. I didn't have that problem because the Faulks unit is the same thickness as the OEM. The Faulks is every bit as good (some say better but they haven't been tested side by side) as the Bell unit and certainly better than the 1g unit.

One word of caution though. Matt Faulks has been difficult to reach from time to time and you may have to be patient to get one, as I was. They are also about 2 times the cost of the Bell unit. I waited to get the Faulks unit for 4 reasons. 1.) I felt it was the best of the bunch (right or wrong), 2.) It has a built in thermoswitch to control the fan and the fan has a built in mount welded to the IC (a complete kit just for the Noble), 3.) I didn't want to have to do anything other than bolt it in with no other modifications, and 4.) those owners in England, that have used it for some time now, have had great success with it. That was worth the extra wait and cost to me.

Pictues of mine can be seen in my post about it today.

Hope that helps.

Craig

P.S. I'm no rocket scientist or professional mechanic and I installed it myself. Some pretty simple instructions came with it. Power comes right off the starter for the fan and the thermoswitch just gives the fan a ground when the charge air temperature calls for it.
    Last edited by caccobra; 04-05-2006 at 02:49 PM.

OnyxM400 (Gabe) has the Bell IC and his fits fine.. strange huh? I think it has to do with variance on how the rear mesh is put on, where exactly the IC box sits, where the fans line up etc. It may fit fine as in Gabes case. Especially if you put the fans on the front. But most agree that a puller fan is probably better than a pusher, measurable difference being negligable.

I should note, that boost seems to come on later with my current setup. HOWEVER, at the same time i moved from my aftermarket boost controller to the ho-hum stock unit. Its a bit slower in peaking to max boost, and I have a problem with it right now with boost fluxuation. So its really not fair to say yet. Once I get my car issues sorted, I will be able to better test the Bell unit. With an M400 should be less of an issue as it will move a little bit more air.

Quote Originally Posted by MicaM400

I
    Dear All,
    Now this is interesting. I've experienced fuel starvation (i.e. engine dies) on high G corners with my stock fuel gauge indicating 1/4 left. This is a "known" issue with UK cars and we are advised by the factory to not track the cars with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel.

I do 30 and 45 minute endurance races and at 6 mpg a tankfull doesn't last long. Can you please tell me is the fuel cell a direct replacement for the tank? does it resist fuel surge? does it reduce total capacity? What are the pros and cons?
    Regards
    Paul C