Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this Noble M12 a good buy?

Default Is this Noble M12 a good buy?

Saw this Noble M12 GTO 3R on eBay today.. can someone tell me if this is a good buy? I've seen some for about the same price with upgrades but with no where near mileage this low..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...t_28430wt_1182

Any buying tips are appreciated,

Thanks

Tyler

I left you a PM.

That seems like a good price, however, there will be a good size list of things you should do to a stock Noble before it is really solid... If you get it, I would be glad to share everything I needed to do for a 2004 with 1200 miles on it...

Quote Originally Posted by trw92a View Post
    Saw this Noble M12 GTO 3R on eBay today.. can someone tell me if this is a good buy? I've seen some for about the same price with upgrades but with no where near mileage this low..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...t_28430wt_1182

Any buying tips are appreciated,

Thanks

Tyler
    Welcome to the forum. Ecohen is right. These cars are produced in extremely limited numbers. There are fewer than 90 of these M12s in the US. As a result, they all tend to take some mileage, time, and money to sort out the limited production issues. In the end it is all worth it as you will have a fairly reliable vehicle that is relatively inexpensive to maintain.

You've come to the right place to ask these types of questions.

I hope you are not in CA, because you will not be able to register that car, or any used car, with less than 7,500 miles on it and if you try and get it in the system, it will be banned forever from being registered here.

I'm actually surprised that #88 is still a M12, figured they would have produced the M400 by that number.

As far as sorting out the problems, the one horror story I saw here was another low mileage one (500 miles, IIRC) that actually ended up having a blocked coolant line somewhere that ended up taking a lot of time and money to sort out. Not saying this one will have that, as this is from a dealer, who presumably checked out the car to make sure it is running fine, but there are pros and cons to buying low mileage cars when it is a limited production handbuilt car, as compared to buying a low mileage high volume production car that has a known quantity when it comes to being sorted from the factory.

Oh... and don't ever use more water than necessary to wash a Noble. Minimal water... none if possible... use Quik Detail.

Good luck with this and hope you join the ranks as an owner soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious 86 View Post
    I hope you are not in CA, because you will not be able to register that car, or any used car, with less than 7,500 miles on it and if you try and get it in the system, it will be banned forever from being registered here.
    We need to confirm this at one of the "Noble-aware" DMV offices. The SPCNS emissions exemption is still active:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

Yes,the DMV will treat a used car with fewer than 7500 miles as new, but SPCNS still applies. One potential hurdle is if the DMV clerk demands to see new construction receipts and the buyer can only provide a used vehicle bill of sale. As with so many of these grayish areas, success or failure probably comes down to who is on the other side of the DMV counter.

"You got to ask yourself one question..."

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by NobleM400 View Post
    We need to confirm this at one of the "Noble-aware" DMV offices. The SPCNS emissions exemption is still active:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

Yes,the DMV will treat a used car with fewer than 7500 miles as new, but SPCNS still applies. One potential hurdle is if the DMV clerk demands to see new construction receipts and the buyer can only provide a used vehicle bill of sale. As with so many of these grayish areas, success or failure probably comes down to who is on the other side of the DMV counter.

"You got to ask yourself one question..."

Jeff
    I just did my BAR yesterday and the referee told me about a guy who brought in a new GT-M with 100 miles on the clock. He tried to register it and was denied due to it being under the mileage limit. Not sure if he did the SPCNS but he is majorly screwed. The referee said there was nothing he could do for him.

I've had my M12 for almost 2 yrs and have washed and had in the rain, so gotta ask what's up with the use limited water during washing?

Quote Originally Posted by warp View Post
    I've had my M12 for almost 2 yrs and have washed and had in the rain, so gotta ask what's up with the use limited water during washing?
    Same experience I had with the Lotus. Most of the time and most cars are fine with it, but you never know if you got that one car that will have problems with water getting into spots.

I was able to wash my Lotus just fine but heard enough horror stories about others who experienced all kinds of electrical problems, including shorted electricals and water pooling in inaccessible areas.

Then with my Noble, everything was fine, had it washed a few times without incident, then the last time I washed it, the alarm went bonkers and decided to not work most of the time except when driving and it shuts off the car while I am driving on the freeway every single time... and I have to hit the immobilizer button on the fob asap and hope the car didn't die yet and keep driving or step on the clutch and restart the car while on the move to not get rear ended or killed by an 18 wheeler behind me.

Talked to Hoover and Jim and they helped me figure out where the water might be pooling and shorting the alarm. Got it almost sorted and it should be fixed but it was 3 weeks of hell not knowing if my car is safe to drive.

In short, I'm pretty sure most cars will be okay but all it takes is that one incident to get something majorly wankered so if you can avoid it, why not play it on the safe side? I think I am going to keep as much water off the car as possible just to be safe and wash it only when it really needs it. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious 86 View Post

I'm actually surprised that #88 is still a M12, figured they would have produced the M400 by that number.

U.S. M12s and M400s were built simultaneously for a long time, and the chassis numbers were consecutive--independent of model. I think the highest chassis number M12 out there is around 120 and the lowest number M400 is around 80.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '06 Audi A3 3.2
    '10 Lotus Evora