Thread: Help with electrical

Default Help with electrical

Just got my car back from the stereo shop where they wired in the new stereo. Some of you may have seen the other thread that I started about my double din install. I'll have pics up later today or tomorrow of the finished install.. Looks awesome and I'm stoked to play with it.

I have three issues that I need help with:

1. I think the stereo guy messed up my oil temp gauge when he pulled it. When I had it apart I saw it was a solid cable that hit the gauge in the back. What's the proper way to remove that probe and if he's screwed it up, can it be repaired, or does a new lead need to be fabricated? I'm not familiar at all with how those temperature gauges work.

2. For some reason my turn signal started acting up on me last week (separate issue from stereo). It indicates when I turn left, but not right. Signal lights still work as far as I know, just no bulb. Does each side run off a separate fuse?

3. I (think) my alternator is quitting on me, although I can't be sure. Voltage on my meter is topping out at 11.5V, but won't drop over the course of driving. Is there anything behind the dash that would affect alternator charging that I may have inadvertently affected during my install, or is this likely a separate issue? Stereo guy said the car died on him when he was working on it. I noticed the low voltage when I was driving to him, so I know it wasn't him that did anything.

Thanks, guys!
    Meddle not in the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.

Okay, guys. Now I really need a hand. I replaced all the LED bulbs in the indicator lights and that rectified the issue with the signal light.

The alternator issue is still unresolved, despite some hopes on the other forum that swapping the bulbs back would solve the problem. I'm hoping someone can walk me through diagnosing the issue. The fact that it started immediately after I played around with my stereo install seems to point in that direction, however everything is back to OEM form except my dash guage light bulbs (and the stereo, of course, but it used the old wires from the original deck).

Can someone give me a walk-through of the procedure for trouble-shooting the alternator?
    Meddle not in the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.

I just took mine to O'Reilly and had them put their tester on the battery. It showed the battery and alternator was charged and charging just fine. It's just a battery and alternator like any car. Almost all auto parts stores can do this test.

Issue resolved.

After a quick chat with Jimbo at TurboHoses, he gave me a set of diagnostics to run through. Started with that light in the dash, which was, as it turned out, the issue after all. Brand new light and it was burned out. Swapped it out and all is right with the world once again.