Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel pump relay part number

Default Fuel pump relay part number

Sitting in a parking lot and my 07 M400 won't start. No fuel pump sound when I push button on keychain or when I turn the key. I called turbohoses and they said my fuel pump relay is probably shot. I guess this is a common problem. The relay is in a terrible location to get to. Behind firewall, in the engine compartment, right above the battery behind velcro'd in heat shield.

Has anyone else had to replace it and what is the part number. Can this be bought at a Ford dealership. I'm sure (and hope) it's just a standard Ford relay that can be easily gotten. If you did have to replace it, and tricks or suggestions?

Thank you.

would you not save time and get better access by removing wheel well panel?

No luck! I took the fuel pump relay out, put it where the horn relay goes and the horn worked. Took the horn relay out, put it where the fuel pump relay goes and still no fuel pump. I checked the 4 fuses right above the fuel pump relay and they are all o.k. I also checked the 15 amp fuse that is in the upgraded fuel pump harness that is right next to the solenoid and it was o.k.
    What should I try next?
    When I turn the key to where it should be to push the fuel pump starter button on the keychain, I hear a little humming, clicking and the battery and oil light come and stay on. Starter will turn over but absolutely no humming from the fuel pump. Is there a way of checking the fuel pump itself. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ken7258 View Post
    No luck! I took the fuel pump relay out, put it where the horn relay goes and the horn worked. Took the horn relay out, put it where the fuel pump relay goes and still no fuel pump. I checked the 4 fuses right above the fuel pump relay and they are all o.k. I also checked the 15 amp fuse that is in the upgraded fuel pump harness that is right next to the solenoid and it was o.k.
    What should I try next?
    When I turn the key to where it should be to push the fuel pump starter button on the keychain, I hear a little humming, clicking and the battery and oil light come and stay on. Starter will turn over but absolutely no humming from the fuel pump. Is there a way of checking the fuel pump itself. Thank you.
    Ken,

It seems that your fuel pump is not working.

Check your PM.

burnt wire?

Where the fuel pump and filter are, there is a Spal (brand name) relay that all the wires that come into and out of it go to the fuel pump. Looking online I saw something exactky the same that is a engine cut connection relay. Could this be tied into the immobolizer and locking system and I did something weird when locking the car and this has frozen out the fuel pump. Do you guys have a relay in where the fuel pump and filter are?

This all seems so strange. When I turn the key and hit the button that is suppose to start the fuel pump, it now locks the doors. I wonder what is going on or is it just as simple as my fuel pump went out. The key would never lock the doors when I hit the button to start the fuel pump.

Remove the imobilizer fuse and see if this unlocks the fuel pump.
    Last edited by Noblerine; 06-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.

I took the imobilizer relay out and tried to start the car, no fuel pump whine. I took the horn relay out and put it where the imobilizer relay is in the fuel pump/filter area and still no fuel pump whine. Mine is set-up exactly like figure 3. The red wire goes to the battery cable on the solenoid and the black cable goes to the fuel pump relay in fig. 6. I'm also attaching a picture of the relay, fuel pump and filter in the drivers side door pod.

Name:  noble fuel pump.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  154.4 KB

Name:  Noble fuel 2.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  Noble fuel 3.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  111.3 KBName:  Noble fuel 5.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  Noble fuel 4.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  106.7 KB

I found this in a past thread.

Use the NAPA AR274*relay*and EC23 harness and secured them together with a zip tie. 14ga wire. Used the existing hot wire out of the harness as the trigger wire to activate the*relay.*Big time saver here.... Keep in mind that when determining which of the two fule*pump*wires is hot, the*fuel*pump*is only active for a few seconds when the alarm fob is pushed and the key is in the on position. If the car is not running, the*pump*shuts down quickly. I spent about an hour wondering why neither wire was hot with the key in the on position. Don't let the same
    happen to you...*Mike P.