Thread: Yet another battery question....

Default Yet another battery question....

I have moved to a high rise tower and there are no outlets in the garage I can use for the built in battery tender. I never had a dead battery problem until I moved here since I kept it plugged in at the house I lived in previously. If I do not drive the car after about 10 days it cranks a bit and then clicks. I bought a jump box (400 amp output, 900 amp peak) and it would not provide enough juice to start the car. I got it from Harbor Freight. I had to jump it with my other vehicle tonight and it started right up. I do have the extended battery terminal. I have a red optima battery which is fine when driven and not super old at all.

I have all the interior lights off so they do not come on with doors open. I am planning on leaving it unlocked so the alarm will draw less power.

The only other thing I can think of is a battery cutoff (like a boat). Before I bring it into the shop for that, do you think it will solve my problem and is worth the cost? Any other ideas? I know someone will say to drive it more, but rainy season is upon us in Seattle so it will get used less. I have no way of using a solar charger or anything like that as I am at the lower level of the garage. The thought of paying 3k for an electrician to run an outlet to my parking space just for the trickle charge is not appealing. Although I own the condo, I am not living here long term and have no plans of buying a Tesla anytime soon.

Anyone have luck with a good jump box...if so where did you buy it?
    Any other ideas I am not thinking of besides the battery cutoff?

Thanks guys....

Quote Originally Posted by dweintra View Post
    I have moved to a high rise tower and there are no outlets in the garage I can use for the built in battery tender. I never had a dead battery problem until I moved here since I kept it plugged in at the house I lived in previously. If I do not drive the car after about 10 days it cranks a bit and then clicks. I bought a jump box (400 amp output, 900 amp peak) and it would not provide enough juice to start the car. I got it from Harbor Freight. I had to jump it with my other vehicle tonight and it started right up. I do have the extended battery terminal. I have a red optima battery which is fine when driven and not super old at all.

I have all the interior lights off so they do not come on with doors open. I am planning on leaving it unlocked so the alarm will draw less power.

The only other thing I can think of is a battery cutoff (like a boat). Before I bring it into the shop for that, do you think it will solve my problem and is worth the cost? Any other ideas? I know someone will say to drive it more, but rainy season is upon us in Seattle so it will get used less. I have no way of using a solar charger or anything like that as I am at the lower level of the garage. The thought of paying 3k for an electrician to run an outlet to my parking space just for the trickle charge is not appealing. Although I own the condo, I am not living here long term and have no plans of buying a Tesla anytime soon.

Anyone have luck with a good jump box...if so where did you buy it?
    Any other ideas I am not thinking of besides the battery cutoff?

Thanks guys....

This battery jumper works very well for me.

Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR ProSeries 2200 Peak Amps Jump Starter and Portable Power Unit.
    You can get this from Amazon.com.

Noblerine

You could pull the main fuses in the footwell of the passenger compartment if it's a serious problem. Perhaps that will help? Check the forum threads for the immobilizer as well - I think it has a power draw.
    Dustin

Thanks guys. I did get a working jump box for the time being. It is sunny in Seattle so I plan to drive it this weekend...that should help!!

It looks like my best permanent option is to install a remote battery disconnect. So, that is the plan. Once professionally installed and I use it a bit I will report my results.