Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda K-Series Noble - Results

Default Honda K-Series Noble - Results

We're proud to announce that Roger's K24/20 Noble M400 is up and running. For those of you interested we are considering trying to produce a few of these kits. Please let us know if you are seriously interested as quantity can make a big difference in how we produce the next couple (and help lower the price of the swap). I've put together a video (spec sheet at the end), dyno graph, and a couple pictures showing where we are with the project. We still have quite a few details to finish up and will be turning the power up as well but this is more or less a good idea of the final product.

We broke it in today and finished with a 408 wheel horsepower tune on 13.5psi, not bad for a little turbo. We'll be doing some road testing and finishing up a few details then putting it back on the dyno to see what it can really do. We should have some track results from NJMP along with video later next week.

We're really happy with the low end torque and quick spool up. We could easily turn this motor another 500rpm and flatten out the torque curve, it's only falling off because boost is (we're on wastegate springs right now). We'll be installing the boost control solenoid and turning up the boost on Monday so look for an updated chart shortly after.

Try to ignore the Advance Auto air filter. We needed something to get us through till Monday.

If you have any questions please post or email ben@carolinadyno.com. My PM box is to small to keep track of messages.

Awesome!

Congratulations
    Very nice great job i am sure it will perform very well having seen the quality of your work before

Dumb question. Why are you swapping the motor? What's the Honda going to provide that the Ford didn't? The biggest issue I recall having was heat. Will the Honda handle heat better or is there something I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Dumb question. Why are you swapping the motor? What's the Honda going to provide that the Ford didn't? The biggest issue I recall having was heat. Will the Honda handle heat better or is there something I'm missing?
    That's a long list, the most important reasons probably being Honda reliability, parts availability, and upgrade/replacement cost. These motors are far more reliable, have way more power under the curve, weigh significantly less and have far more aftermarket support. The transmissions are a dime a dozen from any junkyard, you can get any type of diff you want for less than $1000. You can have a 6 speed, or a 5 speed and your pick of gear ratios, want a dog box or a sequential paddle shifter? No problem.

We can make over 800hp with extreme reliability even with extended road course use and still come in well over 100lbs lighter. Oil pressure and cooling will never be a problem especially with dry sump availability for extremely high performance track prepped cars.

I could go on and on about the benefits of this motor but to be honest the real reasons for the swap are the pitfalls of the Ford setup. Heat is a major issue, even so far as heating the cockpit. The K series has the intake in the front and the exhaust in the back so the heat all goes straight out the back of the car. Under hood temps are drastically reduced as a result. The ford motor is relatively hard to service in the cramped engine bay, with the K series we can service almost any part in a couple hours. The Ford transmission is extremely expensive, hard to find, and has very poor gear ratios for track use. Finally oil pressure and high G oil pickup issues are very hard to solve with the Ford setup, meanwhile the Honda has over 40psi at idle and nearly 100psi from 2500 up.

We will have this car at the next east coast Noble track day, 5 minutes in the car and there would be no question as to why we did it.

That is such a clean setup, fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@CarolinaDyno View Post
    That's a long list, the most important reasons probably being Honda reliability, parts availability, and upgrade/replacement cost. These motors are far more reliable, have way more power under the curve, weigh significantly less and have far more aftermarket support. The transmissions are a dime a dozen from any junkyard, you can get any type of diff you want for less than $1000. You can have a 6 speed, or a 5 speed and your pick of gear ratios, want a dog box or a sequential paddle shifter? No problem.

We can make over 800hp with extreme reliability even with extended road course use and still come in well over 100lbs lighter. Oil pressure and cooling will never be a problem especially with dry sump availability for extremely high performance track prepped cars.

I could go on and on about the benefits of this motor but to be honest the real reasons for the swap are the pitfalls of the Ford setup. Heat is a major issue, even so far as heating the cockpit. The K series has the intake in the front and the exhaust in the back so the heat all goes straight out the back of the car. Under hood temps are drastically reduced as a result. The ford motor is relatively hard to service in the cramped engine bay, with the K series we can service almost any part in a couple hours. The Ford transmission is extremely expensive, hard to find, and has very poor gear ratios for track use. Finally oil pressure and high G oil pickup issues are very hard to solve with the Ford setup, meanwhile the Honda has over 40psi at idle and nearly 100psi from 2500 up.

We will have this car at the next east coast Noble track day, 5 minutes in the car and there would be no question as to why we did it.
    Thanks for the info. What ECU are you running in this setup?

Great idea.

We are running the K20 in the Wolf and one customer is looking at a small turbo.

Good engines to work with.

Our NA motor is making 300 at the wheels and the turbo will be similar to this one.

Wolf weighs 1176 though. No roof or AC!
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)

Nice Job Ben ! I can't wait to hear from Roger how he likes this Engine compared to the Ford V6
    Steve
    Rossion Q1
    Aston Martin racing green

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDown View Post
    That is such a clean setup, fantastic work.
    Thanks, that's really another reason for the swap. It's a much cleaner and less cluttered engine bay, it looks like it belongs in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Thanks for the info. What ECU are you running in this setup?
    On this one we are running a Hondata KPro which is basically a stock ecu modified to operate like a fully programmable stand alone with extra inputs and outputs. It even has a CAN output that we can make use of with the MoTeC dash on this car.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCapeCod View Post
    Nice Job Ben ! I can't wait to hear from Roger how he likes this Engine compared to the Ford V6
    Hopefully he'll post up the results. You'll probably see it for yourself at the next Noble/Rossion track day as well.