Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Honda K-Series Noble - Results

Is the 17psi on pump gas? Also did you guys delete ac, heater, ps etc. I guess the question is what did you guys give up that a stock noble would have. If i didnt just start a new job i would be all in for this, like i said im a honda guy so this is really pulling on the heart strings.

After a long couple days we've had some time to put together a little video from the track. We'll probably post up some of the track video of the F40 we built for those interested as well.

The event went great and the car performed as expected. Obviously the tires are pretty shot but it was still registering 1.1g's sustained on the dash which is a real credit to the chassis. This wont be the last time this car hits the track so we'll be sure to post more video as we get it. Hopefully Roger will be on here to give some first hand experience but the car really was amazing out there.

The track testing allowed us to setup some great fail safes with the Hondata ECU and warnings with his MoTeC SDL including lean protection, over boost protection, overheat protection, and oil pressure protection. Lean protection is based on an air fuel ratio curve vs boost while oil pressure is based on oil pressure vs rpm. All of the protections are capable of lowering the rev limit and even shutting the engine off in a worst case scenario, something usually reserved only for extremely high end ecu's

Quote Originally Posted by ADawg View Post
    Is the 17psi on pump gas? Also did you guys delete ac, heater, ps etc. I guess the question is what did you guys give up that a stock noble would have. If i didnt just start a new job i would be all in for this, like i said im a honda guy so this is really pulling on the heart strings.
    The 17psi is on pump gas, we could go a good bit higher especially if we used a bigger turbo. We didn't delete anything, this car already had the AC removed but we could have easily hooked it up. You wouldn't have to give up a thing except the free cabin heater that is the front turbo on the ford V6

We'll be ready when you are, it will save you money in the long run.

the best thing i have ever done is take that ford motor out of my car and install the honda motor.No more heat inside the cabin,at all,30 psi at idle,revs to 8000 rpm with power all the way thru the gears,the shift is amazing even after being on the track for 2 hours.I was shifting up and down with no clutch.And best of all I drove to mass from new jersey to see how the car runs on the road,got 40mpg without getting on it of course.I feel that i just got the noble i always wanted.I cant say enough about it.Hey steve come up and try it if you would like,I know you will be very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@CarolinaDyno View Post
    That's a long list, the most important reasons probably being Honda reliability, parts availability, and upgrade/replacement cost. These motors are far more reliable, have way more power under the curve, weigh significantly less and have far more aftermarket support. The transmissions are a dime a dozen from any junkyard, you can get any type of diff you want for less than $1000. You can have a 6 speed, or a 5 speed and your pick of gear ratios, want a dog box or a sequential paddle shifter? No problem.

We can make over 800hp with extreme reliability even with extended road course use and still come in well over 100lbs lighter. Oil pressure and cooling will never be a problem especially with dry sump availability for extremely high performance track prepped cars.

I could go on and on about the benefits of this motor but to be honest the real reasons for the swap are the pitfalls of the Ford setup. Heat is a major issue, even so far as heating the cockpit. The K series has the intake in the front and the exhaust in the back so the heat all goes straight out the back of the car. Under hood temps are drastically reduced as a result. The ford motor is relatively hard to service in the cramped engine bay, with the K series we can service almost any part in a couple hours. The Ford transmission is extremely expensive, hard to find, and has very poor gear ratios for track use. Finally oil pressure and high G oil pickup issues are very hard to solve with the Ford setup, meanwhile the Honda has over 40psi at idle and nearly 100psi from 2500 up.

We will have this car at the next east coast Noble track day, 5 minutes in the car and there would be no question as to why we did it.

I am very interested in you adding more videos and results of the Honda motor in Roger's Noble.

What are your thoughts about the "torque band is very linear, but the power band is very narrow and a very short span of 4XXhp" when adding a turbo to a stressed motor already?

Quote Originally Posted by Noblerine View Post
    I am very interested in you adding more videos and results of the Honda motor in Roger's Noble.

What are your thoughts about the "torque band is very linear, but the power band is very narrow and a very short span of 4XXhp" when adding a turbo to a stressed motor already?
    I'm not sure when we will get to post more video we didn't have the car long while it was running before turning it back over to Roger. I'm sure we'll see more of it from him and we will definitely be at the next Noble track day.

As for the power band it's at least as wide as the Ford setup and higher overall. Hopefully the next one we do will have a running Ford setup in it so we can show an overlay. Even if you short shift significantly you still fall into the 400+ range. Keep in mind the only thing holding this setup back is a few clicks on a keyboard and you could bump that whole graph up another 100hp.

Not sure what you mean about adding a turbo to an already stressed motor. The Honda 4 cylinders in general can handle a lot of power, even a stock K-Series can hold 450-500hp. With the mild build in Rogers car 650-700 would be no problem.

We just had another great track even with this car at the Noble Track Day at CMP. I'm sure some guys can chime in about how fast the car was, definitely putting to rest any doubts that it's a stronger power plant. Unfortunately we're better at building cars than we are at marketing them because all we got for a video was a bunch of 30 second shots of my putting the GoPro in the car. We've been really busy and haven't focused on getting more video of this car but it will be at another track day in about a month so hopefully I'll get it right this time!

I agree, car is very fast. Driver (?Ben..?) can also drive well. We played around a bit at the end of the lapping at CMP. I had boost set at .91 Bar, nothing special has been done to my car mechanically and seemed to be running fine. I was short shifting a bit. I have a bit of extra weight in my car with a large amp, sound deadener, etc. but was driving alone. The Carolina Dyno car had a passenger so I am guessing weights were close? Anyways, their car could pull about 4-5 car lengths on me on the front straight at CMP with both of us getting a reasonable exit out of last turn. It was a very fast car!

8. Default

I agree, you guys really showed off that Honda engine well! Your car was FAST! I believe if I had sticky tires and a will to push my car to the limit, I could have given you a run, but I did not want hurt my new engine in my M12. May I remind that my Noble has 500Hp and just tuned by Troy (awesome job Troy, you rock!). Nevertheless, thanks for coming to the event and giving the Noble guys an excellent option for a fast reliable track engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercar Sensation View Post
    I did not want hurt my new engine in my M12.
    That's the key right there. You shouldn't have a track oriented kit car and be worried about hurting your motor on track. That's the main motivation behind our swap. We regularly turn HARD laps without a hiccup. We also have another 200hp available with the flip of a switch.

When something does happen one day (nothing is invincible) the repair costs are MUCH lower with dozens of engines and transmissions available in every junkyard.

10. Default

By the way, we take offense to "kit car". Nobles are production models in England. They are assembly super cars here. Thanks.