Thread: Derek's Alternatives?

Question Derek's Alternatives?

Sooo,

Thinking about our colleague Derek, who's taken the M400 waaay beyond stock to do the One Lap and a lot of road racing(up to 4/wk). He recently said it's taken him over $100K in mods, and I assume many hundreds of hours of technical work, too.

So, the question is, if you had started with over $200K to work with and some serious technical support, would you start with the Noble platform, or start with something else? Let's say it's for the same purpose as Derek has now: competitive road tracking.

As we say here in the midwest, "just a curiosity question..."

Doug in Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Axelrod
    Sooo,

Thinking about our colleague Derek, who's taken the M400 waaay beyond stock to do the One Lap and a lot of road racing(up to 4/wk). He recently said it's taken him over $100K in mods, and I assume many hundreds of hours of technical work, too.

So, the question is, if you had started with over $200K to work with and some serious technical support, would you start with the Noble platform, or start with something else? Let's say it's for the same purpose as Derek has now: competitive road tracking.

As we say here in the midwest, "just a curiosity question..."

Doug in Cincinnati
    The problem with this hypothesis is that it assumes there is somewhere a "perfect" solution that can be bought off the shelf and out of the box. Whatever you start with you can allways improve on it. Do Ferrari still track their 1999 cars? You can allways do better so whether Derek had started with a Lambo or a 360 or a 996TT or a Maclaren F1 he'd still have spent more money on changes and mods. Basically its a ladder of escalating costs. Wherever you start it points upwards. If you bought an Enzo wouldn't you be miffed to learn about the Enzo+ club with all that telemetry gear a few months later? Then you'd want the Veyron.

The real question is whether the Noble represents the most cost effective entry onto the ladder?

My answer is pretty obvious and hugely biased so I'll leave it hanging there for others to answer.

Regards
    PauL C
    Last edited by Paul Cundy; 04-25-2006 at 02:32 PM.