Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bushing problems

delrin will work is 90% the way to spherical bearings so why not do it right

2. Default

cost.

For approx $25.00 and a (fairly) short time at the lathe, I crank out multiple bushings.
    I start with rear toe bushings, and then curiosity starts hitting and for $50.00, and some more time at the lathe, I build bushing for the front a-arms for proof of concept.
    Thinking the front because there will be minimal heat, and I can evaluate what it does to the ride.
    if the ride is acceptable, I crank out the ones for the rear, may use a different material here because of heat.

Slippery slope case, for about 10% of the cost of the spherical bearings, and some time at the lathe, I get 90% of the advantage of spherical bearings.

WOW, if you can make all 20 Delrin bushing and the sleeves to go over the bolts for $50 i will take 3 sets for sure

4. Default

I already have the sleeves. The Poly bushings I bought from you came with a set
    bought 1.25" diameter 36" delrin rod, figure 18 bushings (1.5"*18=27" with 9" of wast), for $29.00

I need 10 bushings, 8 for the front, 2 for the rear toe links, and I have proof of concept.
    If the ride is acceptable, I can research doing the rear, (I am a little nervous about temps for Delrin in the rear a-arms).
    Last edited by doug_porsche; 09-22-2018 at 08:01 PM.

There are 20 bushings total 8 in the front and 10 in the rear

The operating temp of Delrin is 247 F so i am pretty sure you are not going to have a problem with the heat. That is not the melting temp it does not melt till 348 F

You do need shoulders on the bushings if not the a arms will slide forward and aft.

Do not forget to use bushing grease or the will squeak like a squeaky toy all the time, and you will have to repeat the process about once a year

Here is the drawing to make it a little easier since i have already done the research

Drawing in both SAE and MM since it is just a click of a button. I can work in both but when i an machining i can relate to SAE easier
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by gafernandez; 09-23-2018 at 05:13 AM.

6. Default

Very nice. Thank you!

7. Default

Saw your post on Facebook.

how much for just the install tool?

assuming it's (way over simplified) a cup, plunger and a bolt/all thread sort of tool also good for extracting these little burgers?

Have not gone that far, will work on that soon