Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bushing problems

Default Bushing problems

I had the orange poly bushings from Rossion installed on the rear. My M400 was aligned and ready for a great track weekend. First 20 minute session was great, 2nd session I went out and when I hit the brakes the rear end tried to steer on it's own. It was a little scary at 130 mph. The bushing on the right side were already shot and pieces were being ripped off. The left side was still perfect. I brought the car back to the race shop that installed them, they thought the large nut/bolt that holds the a arms on may have come loose. They were all tight and I actually checked the tightness when I drove the car home. When I jacked the car up, I could move the wheel and I could actually see the lower a arm move because the bushing was in such bad shape. I'm sure when I put the brakes on, the right rear wheel tried to steer on it's own since the bushing wasn't holding the a arm correctly.

I think this would be impossible, but are the bushing supposed to be tightened with the wheels on and the car sitting on the ground or is it ok to tighten them when the wheels are off and the car is jacked up. I would think it's impossible to tighten the bolt that holds everything together with the wheels on. It's impossible to get to the bushing with the wheels on.

Has anyone else had problems with these bushing ripping and tearing on the track. The bolts were torqued to 85pounds. The last track weekend is this weekend and I was going to have 2 more orange bushing put in. I just wanted to make sure there is nothing my installer is doing wrong.

Thank you.

Not sure what might have happened to your bushings, but that is a scary situation.

As for tightening the control arm bolts while the car is at ride height: that is required for Lotus cars as well, and is actually not too difficult.
    You need the chassis level and sitting on 4 jack stands with the wheels off and suspension arm bolts loose. Then you can use a floor jack (oriented perpendicular to the side of the car) to jack up one corner at a time--the jacking point should be at the bottom of the hub carrier (use a piece of wood or hard rubber between the jack and the hub carrier). When you jack the suspension high enough to just lift the corner of the car off the nearest jack stand, the suspension is by definition at ride height. You can then tighten the suspension bolts on that corner to the specified torque. Repeat the process at each corner.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I installed the Bushing on my cars and did not tighten them at ride high and did not see a need to do so. At the time i installed the bushings the shock and springs had to be removed so i was able to move them threw their full range of motion and found no binding at any point.
    Just checked all the bushings after specking to ken7258 and found no problems with the bushings after a track event and 300 miles of street use.
    I think their was a installation issue with these bushings.

Ken, we have a call into our supplier on this and will get back to you once we have some pictures/ or the physical part in our hands for evaluation purposes. I use the same bushings in my car which has nearly 9000 miles and has been driven on the track by Shane Lewis. In addition we have used these bushings in our test track car (RP 120) which has completed pretty strenuous laps without a misshap. We reviewed the bushings on both vehicles and found them to be fine.

I am inclined to think that there was a installation issue, but cannot be certain until we at least see pictures and the actual part. Did the installer use any lubricants? If not or he used the wrong type could cause the bushing to bind up and break apart?

just a thought?

Ian

I'll go and take some pictures today. What is the shore rating of the orange bushings suppose to be. My shop said they are the softest bushings they've seen on a performance car. When my shop installed the bushings, they worried about the bushings that are 1/2 inch from the rotor getting hot. They wrapped them in heat fabric. We took the fabric off yesterday and the outside lip of those were gone on one side. I wonder if the set I got was made out of a really soft material. Are these bushing specifically made for my M400 or are they an off the shelf part that fits lots of suspensions? I've heard the original bushings were a better design and made of a harder material. I wonder if this is true.

Ken,

The original bushings can be bought too, its really a choice. Did your shop lubricate the bushings and with what? I am waiting on a formal answer from the bushing manufacturer but they did assure me that all the batches of bushings were made with the same material.

Thanks
    Ian

Name:  DSC_0001 (Large).JPG
Views: 508
Size:  276.0 KBHere is a picture of the right rear control arm. The right side of the bushing is gone and this allows the control arm to move back and forth. The next picture is the left lower control arm.Name:  DSC_0008 (Large).JPG
Views: 497
Size:  298.3 KB

These bushing just don't seem to hold under track conditions. What do you think.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ken7258; 10-26-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Just got back from another track event with the bushings no problem. I think there was an install problem

I wonder if the bushings fit better in a Q1 then my M400. What lube did you put on the bushings when you installed yours and capecod? Thanks

I installed these bushings in my Q1 about 1000 miles ago. Within the first 500 miles two of the rear inside bushing lips were bulging out and have now come off in a round ring. The remainder of the bushing is intact from what I can tell inside the a- arm. I have notice no real movement yet but without the outside ring in place I can't see how the a- arm can stay in position.
    Are there any other options other than the stock metal/rubber bushings? It cost be quite a bit to have everything the old bushings pressed out and the new ones installed. BTW I used a grease specifically made for poly bushings.