Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust manifold cracks/turbo mods

Default Exhaust manifold cracks/turbo mods

Ok, I understand that it is very common for the Rossion to develop cracks in the exhaust manifolds. Is that secondary to cheap manufacture or the heavy turbos hanging on them or both? Is there any way to tell if they have cracks without removing them? When replacing them, what do you replace them with? Would mods to support weight of the turbos help prevent the cracking? Just not sure where I should start since I do not know of any problems yet, but not sure how I would know.

have not heard of anyone with cracked manifolds and there are supports in place. we have had problems with loose turbos and i found expansion joints ans a different type of bolt solves that problem

Quote Originally Posted by gafernandez View Post
    have not heard of anyone with cracked manifolds and there are supports in place. we have had problems with loose turbos and i found expansion joints ans a different type of bolt solves that problem
    Is that the same thing as your youtube video I saw? I think I saw a youtube video from you about the expansion joints

Mine were cracked on my car. I know Turbo Hoses has seen some come in that were cracked. You might ask them about how to check to see if they are cracked.

To answer your question....yes the cracks are due to cheap manufacture and the heavy turbos hanging off of them. The manifolds will need to be removed for inspection for hairline cracks. A piece of manifold falling off is not a good thing for turbo ingestion. The best option is Hoover's Inconel manifolds with v-bands rather then bolts and nuts to attach the turbos. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by EQ Kimball View Post
    Ok, I understand that it is very common for the Rossion to develop cracks in the exhaust manifolds. Is that secondary to cheap manufacture or the heavy turbos hanging on them or both? Is there any way to tell if they have cracks without removing them? When replacing them, what do you replace them with? Would mods to support weight of the turbos help prevent the cracking? Just not sure where I should start since I do not know of any problems yet, but not sure how I would know.

Are the exhaust manifolds stock Ford parts or bespoke for the Noble platform? I know of the more expensive upgraded options from various sources, I'm curious to see if there's a more locally available solution.

Rossion sells new ones. I do have a spare set if you are interested

PM sent. Are the Rossion ones a better quality material than the original? How would a Jet-Hot coated Rossion set perform compared to the sexy stainless upgraded ones?

almost every car in UK has had cracked manifolds at some stage... most common issue Ive heard of for the cars. (edited to point out I mean Nobles)

There are manifolds that have a plate welded in top as a strengthener, but the manifolds still crack under this plate and some 'fragments' have detached and destroyed turbos in the UK... could can't see the cracks with this type of manifold however it does delay them arriving.

I finally solved it on mine by fitting silly expensive inconal ones... IMO there is more than 1 reason for them cracking, poor material, high EGT, heavy turbos with inadequate bracing, no flexis in exhaust.

Resurecting this old thread. Yes the manifolds do crack. The reason is (I think) the tubes and the reinforcing plates welded on the tubes ARE DIFFERENT STEEL. A magnet stick to the plates but not the tube. Heat cycles, flexing, cracks... pictures:
    Name:  C47920ED-FC35-47E4-A0C7-DC2CE0C1B7D9.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  489.2 KB
    Name:  E11E5CB9-E8C2-4E1D-B948-0D5A4279C3F2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  501.0 KB
    Name:  4F4ECDBB-388A-450F-A938-F5B4D0168F04.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  486.5 KB