Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to smog my M12 in California

Default Need to smog my M12 in California

My Noble M12 needs to get smogged
    I took to to 2 shops and both would not smog the car.
    Not sure it will pass
    Any ideas?

Are you sure that it needs to be smogged? Many of us are exempt from smog testing. Was your car licensed using the SB100 process?

Jeff

I never had to get it smogged before but this year it shows that I need a smog cert.
    Yes it is registered using SB100 process and shows make as SPCNS

Hmm, not a good sign. I wonder if the smog referee would be the best place to start? I'm guessing the DMV will be no help.

Did you do the SB100 registration? Or if not, can you contact the previous owner who did? Maybe you can find the particular referee who handled your car.

I expect you will keep running into into dead ends trying to get it smogged. I doubt CA's vehicle database contains an entry for Noble.

Back in the day one could find, ermm, friendly shops that could help with a problematic vehicle, but you should not need to use that path.

Jeff

I love Ohio do not have any of those test

UUUGH - found out the problem
    When the car was originally registered the person typed in the wrong vin number.
    so DMV finally figured out that the car has no backup information and wants it inspected - only takes them 8 years to go through records.
    so now I have to convince someone to correct the vin number in the computer to match the vin number on the car. DMV says they cannot change without documentation.
    someone typed a 7 instead of 9
    The people at Bureau of auto repair (BAR) (he referee people ) show it inspected and exempted the car information as 1 number. the DMV have a different number
    DMV say they will not change without documentation from BAR and even then they are not sure they can change a vin #
    Bar people say they cannot send me information. I need to show up in person and hopefully he can write a note to say yes car is in correctly shown in the DMV computer.
    first inspection appointment is end of January. UGGh
    so between now and then - tickets galore for unregistered vehicle.
    UUUGH -

Quote Originally Posted by gafernandez View Post
    I love Ohio do not have any of those test

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Jeff

I know but know i can afford to leave when it gets to coold when i lived in i warm place i just had to suffer threw the heat

Somewhat similar in regards to changing the VIN number for my first registration. DMV can definitely change the VIN and very easily but need documentation while BAR referee can not do anything in regards to the VIN except check that it is proper and document it against that VIN then give you the sticker. If the BAR part is with the right VIN then that shouldn't be needed.

I am guessing, if it was me based on what I learned, is go do the VIN inspection by the CHP again and nicely explain to him then let him verified and document the correct VIN for you. Then bring this document back to DMV to have them change it and see if that work. If you need to do something more, probably not, then they would tell you such as the BAR referee but shouldn't.

Based on my experience, the BAR won't be able to help. Won't hurt to try.

good luck

-Hugh

not making much progress.
    Since I bought the car used i am guessing the original owner never got it properly smogged when doing the SB100 bar exam. If anyone can provide input on the process please do so.
    DMV and BAR have my car with 2 vin numbers and one vin number shows no info on the car the other vin number shows that the car went to BAr for inspection but never passed. How it got a official registration and a title is unknown.

UUUUGH.
    Mark