Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any runners here?

Default Any runners here?

I've run 15 - 40 miles per week for the past 30 years just cuz I like running. Never competed until now. I signed up for the Avenue of the Giants marathon in northern Cal this spring. Already started reading and training!

Any of you enjoy the runner's high as much as 4-wheel adrenaline rushes?

i do 10-12 miles 2 or 3 times/week-- or at least i did until 2 weeks ago-- on the DL for a short while--

Back in the day before I had kids I ran too many 5 and 10 K's to count.
    I did the Chicago marathon and the Las Vegas Marathon for 8 years straight.
    The runners high I felt, I just think it is from being light headed from exhaustion.
    I never did hit the 20 mile wall people would talk about tho.
    Name:  marathon.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  67.6 KB
    Last edited by BLACKNOBLEM12GTO3R; 10-26-2015 at 06:33 AM.

I'm hoping to run around the wall. From what I read, proper training along with eating and drinking a bit during the race will help a lot. This is all new to me - I've never carried water on a run, but my longest run ever was just 13 miles on the San Francisco Bay salt pond levees.

Hi Jeff,

I never carried water and used the Gatorade/water stations that the marathons had in place.
    I don't like the feeling of carrying a water bottle.
    Reaching each station was a real look forward treat since you do get so thirsty.

As far as training goes, I used a published formula for training (Many are out there) and followed it as close as I could.
    My goal in my 1st marathon was just to run without stopping and to break 4 hours.
    I trained hard and I was able to reach both goals.

The toughest one was the 1993 Marathon as this news headline said it all.

October 31, 1993:Snowfall, 34-degree temperatures and 12-degree wind chills greeted the 6,941 runners in the
    16th Chicago Marathon on Halloween (the latest race date in Chicago’s history). As the snow along the lakeshore pelted runners in the face, some dropped out with hypothermia.

Name:  marathon1993.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  77.8 KB

Good to see I'm not alone

Fueling on the run is key. Also a heart rate monitor. I used to push way to hard and with a HR monitor you just stay at 75-80% max HR (or less..) and you can just keep going!
    Last edited by esrandl; 10-27-2015 at 06:04 PM. Reason: stupid link to last race didn't work so took it out..

I'm planning to follow Hal Higdon's novice 2 plan. And I have precisely the same goals! Finish, don't walk, crack 4:00.

I bought a Garmin 225 on Saturday and have run with it twice now. The HR monitor has been enlightening. I'm not running fast yet, so my HR climbs slowly. Still about 135 after many minutes. But yesterday it kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing! The watch buzzed at 175. I thought I slowed down, but soon it was 178. I don't know if this is normal, but it felt like I had to slow down quite a bit to get my HR to drop. When I got back to the office and walked for a few minutes, it was down to 125.

Bottom line - I'm not in as good a shape as I thought I was!

Jeff, if you're younger than 45 a 175 would be a little high — your maximum heart rate should be 220 minus your age. I train with a Polar because I've found it to be the most accurate. I wear a fitbit surge during the day, it tends to read about 8 BPM higher than my actual rate. Good luck with your training and your race.

You guys are lunatics... only time I'm running is if there's a yeti chasing me, or any other yeti-like creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by NobleM400 View Post

The HR monitor has been enlightening. I'm not running fast yet, so my HR climbs slowly. Still about 135 after many minutes. But yesterday it kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing! The watch buzzed at 175. I thought I slowed down, but soon it was 178. I don't know if this is normal, but it felt like I had to slow down quite a bit to get my HR to drop. When I got back to the office and walked for a few minutes, it was down to 125.
    I over-trained for years before I realized i was actually hurting myself. I finally got the HR monitor and to my surprise my fitness has gradually improved by *not* pushing as hard, but also keeping consistent HR level. This also includes backing off, but still exercising on 'recovery' days.

You need to get on Strava too if you really want some peer pressure to make you stick to your training plan.