Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Honda Powered Build Thread - K24 / TSX

A little recap of the past six months with the car so far, some of this has already been mentioned or videos already posted.

Have done about five track days and an autocross now with the car and I'm still getting use to the car. Here's the breakdown of the events.

April, 2016 - Speedventures event at Spring Mountain -- Turbo failure. Turbo feed line gets debris, blocks port, bearing dies a tragic death. Turbo replaced with brand new unit.
    Synapse wastegate vacuum line also falls apart due to the excessive heat at the barb fitting. There's no way to change the fitting to a proper AN or teflon line, because bad design. Replace lines with silicon vacuum lines

May, 2016 - PCA event at Spring Mountain -- Synapse wastegate failure, again. The vacuum line falls apart, even after using silicon lines and tons of heat wrap. Gets internally cooked. Replace lines and reroute.
    Video of the event

June, 2016 - NASA TT event at Miller in Utah -- Synapse wastegate total failure. Wastegate top hat comes partially unbolted and doesn't regulate boost. TT3 cars are running away from me in the straight, despite the car being a TT1 car. Vacuum line also dies another tragic death. Replaced wastegate and lines, again.
    Video of the event

Drove the car around on the street then pulled the intercooler to check the WG temp... 420F / 215C. No wonder why the vac lines keep failing.

September, 2016 - PCA event at Spring Mountain -- Synapse wastegate failure again. Vac lines fail. But, least I get spring pressure. 8psi, instead of the 10-12psi it's tuned on. Pull wastegate and toss it into the trash. Replace it with a JGS 50mm wastegate, since it has the same flange sizes as the Synapse. No welding changes! Also, the JGS has proper fittings, so I change the fittings to AN3 with telfon lines. Reroute the lines again.
    Video of the event

September, 2016 - Autocross with LVRSCCA -- Working as expected! But, it's not a good test, since temps don't get as high. Even took 2nd RAW time out of 120 some odd cars.
    Video of the event

October, 2016 - VTEC Club at Streets -- Everything runs as expected! I haven't gotten retuned with the new wastegate, so was only making 9psi, but no WG issues whatsoever!
    Video of the event

And a random video of the car on the street, get an idea of how it sounds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClWRiWJMeT0

Going to the tuner tomorrow for a retune with the new gate and get a tune on a mixture of 91/100, to get that 450whp I wanted initially, then back it back down to something reasonable.

Then, November is a PCA event at INDE near Tucson, AZ -- then Musselman the following day. So, if any AZ owners want to meet up?

End of year follow up.

Got the car retuned and was able to make the same 425whp that the Ford V6 made, although only 345tq vs the 400tq.
    Then drove the car the ~400 miles to Tucson from Vegas and the car ran perfectly, while using AC here and there. Got something like 25mpg too.

Downside, once we got there, I sheared 4th gear doing a quick pull onto the freeway. Brought car to friend's place and put it on the lift, drained out and debris, refilled, and did the track day the next day. Because, gearbox is already broken and replacements are $800, not too concerned about hurting the gearbox more.

Gearbox held together at the track day (aka, fast autocross), and since I didn't need 4th, it wasn't too much of a problem. Was a horrendous noise though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zgL2tP5eMU

Ordered myself a Quaife sequential gearbox, which has been used in the following vehicles without any problems --

900hp MR2 w/ K20 and Quaife:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoWY42_Bbz8

720hp Elise w/ K20 and quaife:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOXMbvgVzFU

Looking forward to 2017 with the new bits!

I've been doing some research on sequential gear boxes also. You may want to also consider this guys
    http://www.sadev-tm.com/en/gearboxes...s/2wdt?pid=114.
    From all the spec's I found Holinger can handle the most torque as advertised. Quaife could not give me a spec? I'm interested to see yours in action. I was going to use Geartronics and paddle shift. The manual shifter looks like it would be as high as the A/C control s

Jeff
    Last edited by cooch8c; 12-31-2016 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooch8c View Post
    I've been doing some research on sequential gear boxes also. You may want to also consider this guys
    http://www.sadev-tm.com/en/gearboxes...s/2wdt?pid=114.
    Sadav and other sequential box options are twice as much as the quaife, and still require a bellhousing adapter. The quaife uses the honda bellhouse/clutch case to bolt to the engine.

From all the spec's I found Holinger can handle the most torque as advertised. Quaife could not give me a spec? I'm interested to see yours in action. I was going to use Geartronics and paddle shift.
    There are a handful of Lotus guys who have K20s in their cars and are running the quaife for a few years now and haven't had any problems yet. Both the MR2 and Elise above have been running their quaife for a few years without issues too -- so it seems that quaife won't advertise the max torque, but the box is very strong.

The geartronics is a nice bit of kit and something I might consider in the future, let me know how you like it!

The manual shifter looks like it would be as high as the A/C control s
    The gearshift is very tall, but that can be adjusted/modified. It's a simple device that can be redesigned inexpensively.

More changes while I wait for the gearbox to arrive:

- PLX Wideband wiring melted, so wasn't reading properly. Rerouted the wiring and added more heat shielding.

- Ordered new primary 02 sensor, as that wasn't reading properly in KPro. May have died a premature death, but it was a used sensor in the first place.

- Added a specific gauge for the Wideband. Gauge count is now at three, but I'm monitoring: Oil Temp, Water Temp (located at coolant pipe), Boost, Oil Press., Fuel Press., VSS, AFR, and ECT (located in the head)

- Tested the Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering. Powers on, pumps fluid, steering works. Haven't road tested, so won't know if it turns off via the speed signal. It is as loud as the fuel pump.

- Added Flex Fuel sensor, will be able to dump E85 in the tank without having to drain it. Will get it tuned with E85 -- which I imagine will push the WHP number up a bit.

- Replaced the brake piston caliper seals. Ordered from a store in the UK. Saved myself $40-$50 from US based stores, and got them just as quickly. BUY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FROM THE UK while the rate is awesome.

- Replaced rear end control arm bushes with poly bushes from Rossion. I ordered online, they lost the online order. Lesson is: call them and place the order. Removing the bushes was pretty easy, but I also have a low mileage car and a late chassis number (214). Get a press. Put a 32mm socket on the back end of the bush, push a 11/16 socket thru the top -- removed. The reinstall was pretty easy, except putting the lower control arms back in, since the bushes are slightly larger. Nothing a little grease and a rubber mallet couldn't fix.

- Ordered me some new wheels and will be wrapped in NT01s, the rears do need a 8mm spacer to clear the calipers, fronts fit perfectly:
    Name:  saleenSCWheels.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  131.6 KB
    Name:  saleenSCWheels2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  108.3 KB
    Name:  saleenSCWheels3.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  128.3 KB

Wheel package is as follows:
    SVE Saleen SC
    Fronts - 17x9, ~20 -- 255/40-17
    Rears - 17x10, ~25 -- 275/40-17

Rears have a nice deep dish to them, and they are about the same weight as my forgelines, maybe a lb or two lighter.

- Replaced the brake piston caliper seals. Ordered from a store in the UK. Saved myself $40-$50 from US based stores, and got them just as quickly. BUY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FROM THE UK while the rate is awesome.
    Agreed! Check out the pricing on Ohlins and KW's :-)

I was looking at the Noble Apparel again and didn't have a good feeling when I compared it to how much I paid mid-2016.

Your lucky they make a six speed for your setup!
    Great build thread, mine is getting ready to start back up
    Last edited by cooch8c; 02-01-2017 at 03:39 PM.

After months of waiting, finally got my gearbox. Took about three months, but once it shipped, took three days to arrive from the UK!
    Installed the drivetrain over the weekend and test drove it yesterday. Sequential gearboxes are kind of awesome! Still need some fine tuning, as the shifts are 100% reliable.
    Other issue is, the left side chassis rail is RIGHT in the way of where the gearbox potentiometer would mount, so I can't realistically use the no-lift shift until I modify that chassis rail. It's the same bar that people modify or remove to take out the gearbox or do clutch changes without removing the engine.

The quaife push/pull cable was also about a foot too short. Had to reuse the Noble one, since it's almost the right length for the drivetrain. A few adapters, and it works pretty good. Will be sourcing a proper length push/pull cable shortly. Hopefully can get it all set up prior to this weekend's track day!

I have dyno time scheduled on Thursday for an E85 tune, so excited about that too.

And finally, got to see the car on the ground with the new wheels:

They look really good, EXCEPT, they stick out passed the rear clam about 15mm. Looks like I need a wider clam.

More shots:

Really, no pics of the box installed:-)

Quote Originally Posted by cooch8c View Post
    Really, no pics of the box installed:-)
    Hah, well, no engine bay shots, but here are the gearbox build shots: