Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Honda Powered Build Thread - K24 / TSX

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroDown View Post
    In the results, you state: "With a internally stock K24A2 and a GT35R, 91octane pump gas, and a conservative tune: 425whp / 333tq (Ford Duratec: 435whp / 400tq)"

The numbers seem high for the m400 duratec, don't they? Or had you modified that beforehand?
    The Ford drivetrain was dynoed on a Mustang dyno
    The Honda on a Dynojet.

The Ford originally made 383whp, add weather correction and it's at 435whp. But, that could be as much as 30% higher on a Dynojet.
    With that, I don't know if the ecu had a tune on it, or if it was the stock M400 map.

Been a minute since I've updated.

October, 2017 ... found the limits of the stock engine on track. Temps were in the crisp 50', engine was screaming, but it was just too much for the rods, and windowed both sides of the block.
    Fortunately, the engines are $1500 a pop and readily available.
    More importantly, I had a built engine sitting in the garage waiting to be dropped in.

So, return from the track day, next weekend, I had the other engine in. This drivetrain is FAR easier to remove than the duratec. Duratec was 5-6 hours, mainly due to the PITA of removing the turbo hardware.

November, 2017: Go back to the dyno for tuning this engine. Wanted to make sure I ramp it up slowly. So, now the engine is at 550whp/420tq at 17psi.
    Average hp between 5500rpms to 9000rpms is 511whp.
    Turbo spools up at 4400rpms, right around when VTEC lobes switch over -- partly due to the large 1.06AR.
    On the wastegate spring only (disconnect the boost controller/aka low-boost setting), the car makes roughly 380whp -- which is almost controllable at autocrosses.

March, 2018:
    - Installed a Mini Cooper EHPS. I originally tried the Toyota MR-S EHPS, but couldn't get a reliable VSS signal, so it would provide power assist and lose power assist in weird situations. The Mini Cooper uses the alternator charge signal to determine how much assist to provide. Also, it has a remove reservoir, which makes mounting it a little easier. I mounted it near the steering rack, behind the radiator. The reservoir sits where the windshield washer bottle use to be. Steering is a little heavier than the belt-driven pump, but not by much. I have yet to test it on track, which I get to do next weekend. Thanks to Willy for the idea!

- My APR GTC300 wing exploded on track. I was traveling at about 120mph, and it was windy. RIP APR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwyYWL8bX4
    With that, I'm going to find a way to build a set of uprights that mount to the intercooler box rails and go thru the clam, then attach to another set of uprights that are mounted to the wing. May use quick release pins to allow quick removal of the wing so I can open the clam. This way, the downforce is transmitted directly to the chassis and not on the fiberglass body. Who knows when I'll actually get it fully designed/built.

You will lovw the mini cooper ehps

I love seeing builds like this! Fantastic job!
    Serban Gavrilescu