Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noble M12 DIY projects

Default Noble M12 DIY projects

I'm starting my own thread to keep everything under one heading. I'm doing some projects to my car and wanted to put them for you guys to see. I know there have been many build threads over the years but some lack photos and never really come to an end. I'm late to the game so trying to catch up. Alot of you here have posted up great info and I research alot before asking. As the aftermarket industry changes newer parts become available and maybe I will shed some light on new parts.

I raced North East Modified cars for 5 years and done my share of crashing and fixing my race car and have an appreciation for safety. Here is one of my bad crashes. I'm in the orange and white car https://youtu.be/SA1Lh69pMp0 So I will be tracking the car so some of mods will be centered around that.

I hope you guys will chime in to help or give me you knowledge. Things will be going slowly due to the fact I mainly work on the car one day out of the week.

I will leave off with a in car of me not crashing. Dirt was very challenging as you can see how shiny and slick the track gets. I'm going to miss dirt racing, but it was to time consuming running your own race team. https://youtu.be/MeLuA6T11u0
    Last edited by cooch8c; 03-07-2016 at 05:18 PM.

So I only drove the car twice and everything seemed good. But I had no info on past history of the car and wanted to do the engine install myself and to do the typical updates to the car. One thing that was done already was the install of a 9A5 ECU with a Hover speed denisity map for a stock engine. I had to install a OBD ll plug for CAN communications. I use Easimap 6 software to read the engine.

Some of this is just simple low cost easy stuff, but for some of you it might not be so I hope it helps. I'm not a professional but do my best with what I have here. I don't mind spending money but I try to save where I can. I'm not rich and I worked hard just to get the car. Here are a few pics of the engine stand I made to keep the engine safe why I work on it.Name:  IMG_20160307_194104.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  328.9 KBName:  IMG_20160307_194103.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  308.1 KBI will paint it once the engine is back in the car. Also made mounting for the parts that have to be removed to put the stand on. Keeps me from losing the parts. Made one leg adjustable it will have to come off and back on to remove gear box. More on this later.Here is a general pic of the engine and trans for referenceName:  IMG_20160307_194114.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  360.2 KB
    Last edited by cooch8c; 03-07-2016 at 05:02 PM.

One thing that I could not stand is the fuel pump wiring, fuel pump location and all the hoses laying around. Also wanted a bladder in the fuel cell. Here are some pics of our fuel cell. Bladder is on order and I will be installing an in tank pump and gauge. So cutting and gutting the tank. Hard to tell from the photo but pickup pipe almost an inch off the bottom on tankAttachment 11580Name:  IMG_20160307_171637.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  366.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cooch8c; 03-08-2016 at 04:16 AM.

It's REALLY GOOD to see more DIY here! The Noble does some things quite well, but is deficient in other places. There is room for improvement. Keep the pix coming!

Here is our fuel tank baffle removed from the tankName:  IMG_20160307_215230.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  314.3 KB

Even though the engines I build read everything in bar and Celsius I still can't get use to it. I replaced my factory gauges with Smiths Telemetrix Name:  IMG_20160307_215205.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  190.1 KBName:  IMG_20160307_215205_1.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  224.5 KBwhich from what I can see they appear to be the company that made our gauges originally???? Also did the LED bulbs and thanks to this forum it you try to put LEDs in the indicators next to the boost gauge you will have a kinds of weird things happen! Thankfully I still had the face plate off. Also was having trouble with my heater selector knob and my temp knob. They would not turn freely and would not turn all the way. I removed the yellow cable which goes to the heater valve at the valve. Valve was free. Did the same to the black one that goes to the door. That was fine. I use a real thin lube and lubed the cables and a few drops to the back of pannel where the cable is inside. Let that sit upright for a few days and worked the knobs and now we are working like new!Note: behind my gauge pannel ontop of the tunnel there are supposed to be two rubber plugs installed one has the boost line going into it and the other one the yellow cable going into it. The reason that I'm telling you is that someone got lazy and never installed the one for the yellow cable. My eyes were burning under acceleration with Windows closed. Easy enough to check.
    Last edited by cooch8c; 03-07-2016 at 07:21 PM.

When I removed the main skid plate under the car I did not expect it to be the whole floor of the car! It's a mess getting all that carpet glue off! Here is what your main skid plate looks off the car. Name:  IMG_20160307_215221.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  323.1 KB

Note: I got tricked here. I had a very small coolant leak from the center tunnel section where all the hoses run. I found a leak at the oil cooler and fixed it. For the next week I still go a few drops. Psi tested the system and nothing. Got mad and removed the main skid plate. Turns out it was residual and got trapped. If your interior carpet is wet it can come from the engine as the hoses run down hill into the tunnel. It does have silicone so it may or may not happen.

Depending on your plans, you might consider slicing the pan so you can get to the tunnel more easily. Then use super thin self adhesive weatherstrip from McMaster and screws for the tunnel cover. Makes future tunnel access much easier. Pics on one of my threads here and on my Noble site.

I did look at yours. It looks like you narrowed up the main skid plate and added a metal strip to mount it to??? Do you know where to get carpet like this? Looks like speaker box material.

I already posted this...but wanted to add it here. This is another reason to check your install. Going buy the install manual this is not the correct hose.Name:  IMG_20160307_215308.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  236.6 KBName:  IMG_20160307_215350.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  333.0 KB