Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown 80 Amp Main Fuse

Default Blown 80 Amp Main Fuse

Anybody else ever have the 80 Maxi fuse blow on an M400? This is the one mounted on the firewall behind the "special fabric heat shield".

We were coming on to the main straight at NHIS when all went quiet and we rolled to a stop at Start/Finish. Very embarrassing. Never been the butt of the English and their warm beer jokes before.

Replacing the fuse made everything nice again but it ended or track day early and we need to find the cause rather than just wait to see if it happens again.
    Paul Wilson
    Manager
    Team Cassin

Quote Originally Posted by TrackInstructor
    Anybody else ever have the 80 Maxi fuse blow on an M400? This is the one mounted on the firewall behind the "special fabric heat shield".

We were coming on to the main straight at NHIS when all went quiet and we rolled to a stop at Start/Finish. Very embarrassing. Never been the butt of the English and their warm beer jokes before.

Replacing the fuse made everything nice again but it ended or track day early and we need to find the cause rather than just wait to see if it happens again.
    I believe that there has been some prior discussion on the factory fuses in general and the consensus seems to be that it is a good idea to change all of the factory fusues (S.A. variety) over to good old U.S. fuses. Seems there have been numerous failures of the factory fuses for unknown reasons. This is something that I intend to do as well. In fact if someone can take the time to spec the amp ratings, style and number of each type that are needed we would all then have a shopping list to work with. That would be helpful to anyone wanting to just pick up a complete set or two of better fuses.

I think that someone mentioned that they thought that 1g was changing them all now when the cars arrive from S.A., but I don't know if that has ever been confirmed and, if they are doing this, I don't know at what VIN number they started doing it. Probably also a good thing to mention to your installer to do, if 1g isn't doing it.

Craig

Craig is right. My car died. Main fuse was the cause. Changed all fuses. No problem since.
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh
    Craig is right. My car died. Main fuse was the cause. Changed all fuses. No problem since.
    Dean,

Did you work from a list of the fuses needed to replace them all? They seem to come in a variety of styles and sizes. Is that information in the assembly manual (in the back where they list the parts, etc.)? I know... I need to keep a copy in my office. That seems to be when I need to see it the most.

If I remember correctly there are pictures of all of the fuses and fuse panels in the back of the assembly manual. Should be able to work from that to determine what all is needed to replace them all.

I did find these sites for ordering fuses on line:

http://www.crowbarelectricalparts.co...ders.htm#fuses

http://www.waytekwire.com/automotive-fuse.htm

http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/A...ive_Fuses.html

Looks like you can buy them in larger quantities at good prices here:

http://www.nextag.com/atc-fuse/search-html

and here:

http://www.nextag.com/maxi-fuse/search-html

Geez I feel like Gabe, the professional shopper, today.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

Craig
    Last edited by caccobra; 06-01-2006 at 11:40 AM.

I had Greg Robb Change all the fuses to US fuses at the time of install.
    Laser Blue M400 - in my garage
    M12 GTO 3R - SOLD

I just opened her up, made a list of all the fuses, went to NAPA store, bought a hand full of Buss fuses and put them in.

And threw spares in the bag behind the seat.

I don't remember how many of each it took. I know it was about $30 worth of fuses.
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)

Dont forget the fuses in the engine compartment
    Laser Blue M400 - in my garage
    M12 GTO 3R - SOLD

I hope it's just a bad fuse and not a shorted alternator wire.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Out of curiousity, who were you running NHIS with and what times and configuration were you running? Around here you may look into www.comscc.org as they let you time trial in addition to "drivers ed". Plus they give out trophies for it

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxM400
    I hope it's just a bad fuse and not a shorted alternator wire.
    He did say replacing the fuse made everything nice again, so it doesn't sound that obvious. Sounds more like another defective S.A. fuse until we hear more. But you are right. In order to blow the main 80amp fuse, it would probably require a direct short to ground on the primary circuit.