Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noble M12/M400 ECU alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by calvinlc View Post
    Totally understand, Willy. You know my background and occupation, so you know I understand engineering systems with high degrees of complexity. I know it is not to be taken lightly nor is it easy, but the Ford ECU and/or the MBE tuning software packages I have seen are nowhere near as user friendly as the Holley unit. Maybe I am missing something on the Ford front. Is there a software package somewhere that is downloadable that has the same types of features as the Holley package?

--Calvin
    the Ford software is horrible and dated....
    MBE is tolerable.... there's just few servicable components when something goes wrong. We get these calls and ecus ship to us from time to time.

A good base tune will work for 99%
    of the population. Most will not race and therefore not need thorough testing.....
    Last edited by Hoover; 12-03-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Factory Noble Software
    Noble M400 SCCA GT-1 Podium 2014

www.Noble-Speed.com

TurboHoses R&D
    Noble, Rossion and Lotus Performance
    http://www.turbohoses.com/Nobleperformance.htm

Hooverc@TurboHoses.com
    925-455-1066
    Livermore CA.

www.OriginSportsCars.com
    HVR & Origin N

I have no issues with the Ford ECU"s and make great reliable power in all weather conditions. For racing i would recommend using after market ecu

I have quite a few dyno tests showing otherwise.....
    Factory Noble Software

www.Noble-Speed.com

TurboHoses R&D

Hooverc@TurboHoses.com
    925-455-1066
    Livermore CA.

www.OriginSportsCars.com
    HVR & Origin N

What I always find it hard to believe is how much people give credit to FAST and Holley ECUs. Both systems are pretty outdated, have poor or very limited fuel models and would take a lot of work to install in a Noble. I don't even think you could get a fast ECU to run the car completely. It doesn't have the direct tables to control the water temp gauge. You would have to use an additional ignition multiplexer because the XFI 2.0 only has one coil output. That makes the cost of the hardware go up significantly. Just wait till you want to do anything out of the box and see how quickly you hit limitations.

Haltech Elite and AEM Infinity are both very similar ECUs. You will find that the Infinity to be in a better price range when you make an apples to apples comparison. If you are looking for a standalone and you don't have an unlimited budget those should be your only choices.

EB Turbo

Certain states require OBDII can protocol for registration. The problem with the way the Rossion is setup from the mfg will not meet any states requirements.

in addition, we've found other issues with the Rossion set up with the ecu that takes more deeper research than anyone has spent time.
    Factory Noble Software

www.Noble-Speed.com

TurboHoses R&D

Hooverc@TurboHoses.com
    925-455-1066
    Livermore CA.

www.OriginSportsCars.com
    HVR & Origin N

Quote Originally Posted by EB Turbo View Post
    What I always find it hard to believe is how much people give credit to FAST and Holley ECUs. Both systems are pretty outdated, have poor or very limited fuel models and would take a lot of work to install in a Noble. I don't even think you could get a fast ECU to run the car completely. It doesn't have the direct tables to control the water temp gauge. You would have to use an additional ignition multiplexer because the XFI 2.0 only has one coil output. That makes the cost of the hardware go up significantly. Just wait till you want to do anything out of the box and see how quickly you hit limitations.

Haltech Elite and AEM Infinity are both very similar ECUs. You will find that the Infinity to be in a better price range when you make an apples to apples comparison. If you are looking for a standalone and you don't have an unlimited budget those should be your only choices.

EB Turbo
    Hmm....outdated. Can you be more specific on the Holey why you think it is outdated? I find no feature that the AEM 5 series has that the Holley does not.
    --Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by calvinlc View Post
    Hmm....outdated. Can you be more specific on the Holey why you think it is outdated? I find no feature that the AEM 5 series has that the Holley does not.
    --Calvin
    The Holley isn't as bad as the FAST. But if you want to get specific the Holley have user configurable PWM low side tables. So this means no Water temp gauge or anything that can be used by them, Variable fan speed, variable fuel pump speed,....

The Holley Dominator does not have direct Flex fuel support, you have to use modifier tables to simulate flex fuel control. You have to use more tables to do flex ignition and boost changes as well. Flex fuel is part of the Infinity fuel model, There are dedicated tables for Flex ignition and you can modify boost duty or targets based on Flex content.

Holley only has single value cylinder fuel and ignition trims. Where the Infinity has 3D tables for both fuel and ignition for each cylinder.

Holley has the most basic knock control, only a retard per "ring" value and a restore rate. The Infinity allows for both narrow and flat response sensors, allows you to control the knock frequency, intergrator and gain values for listening to the knock signals, have noise limit tables for each cylinder to determine the knock threshold, You can set a global trim or per cylinder trim, you can define windows so when knock is heard it can identify it to a specific cylinder and adjust accordingly, You also have max retard limits, decay rates, Knock lambda trims and max lambda trim and knock lambda decay rates.

Holley DBW is a drop down menu from a supported list only. No options for custom calibrating your own DBW motor. You only have single 2D throttle/pedal interpolation tables, where the Infinity has 2 3D tables. Infinity allows you to change every aspect of the DBW control, Full PID, Frequency control, Integral low and high clamps, throttle and pedal smoothing, and even error control.

I can go on and on.. just because it says it has a specific feature doesnt mean you have a full and proper control. Hell, You dont even have PID values for Lambda feedback. Also the Holley Dominator ECU is over twice the physical size of an Infinity.

EB Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
    Certain states require OBDII can protocol for registration. The problem with the way the Rossion is setup from the mfg will not meet any states requirements.

in addition, we've found other issues with the Rossion set up with the ecu that takes more deeper research than anyone has spent time.
    The Haltech Elite series of ECUs do have an OBD2 output. It can be wired to match what the M12/400 harness looks like with an OBD2 connector. This should be more than sufficient for what states require. The ECU will output an OBD2 data stream as well as gives you the option internally to select P0xxx codes to display if the errors do arise.

EB Turbo

Just so you guys understand, NJ requires a OBDll plug, but you also have to have a check engine light and emission readiness status. Maybe now that Trump is President we can stop the BS emission crap��

Quote Originally Posted by cooch8c View Post
    Just so you guys understand, NJ requires a OBDll plug, but you also have to have a check engine light and emission readiness status. Maybe now that Trump is President we can stop the BS emission crap��
    there are very few Standalone ECUs that will do OBD-II codes, MIL is not an issue but readiness monitors is just cruel. These cars don't have EVAP systems at all, no EGRs, Catalyst monitors is quite complicated and requires a lot of emissions testing to determine at what level of catalyst degradation is considered a failure, O2 monitors isn't very hard.

I have never tried to communicate to an MBE with an OBD-II scan tool. I know there is No MIL I am pretty sure it doesn't have any type of readiness monitors. How do you get away with Nobles in NJ? Are they just not allowed at all?

EB Turbo