Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kirkey Road race seats in a Noble

Sparco Ergo is what I bought. It's a lot taller then the current seat and hit the roll bar behind the driver. It's so hard to see out of our little rear window to check the blind spot, so I put a little round blind spot mirror on the outside mirror so I can see everywhere along the side of the car. I saw a couple seats at Wine country that have a halo but the way they are designed you can turn your head and see everywhere like there was no halo. My car came with full carbon fiber comfortable seats. As comfortable, safer race seats would be the only reason to upgrade. Who knows if anything will fit that's better then what I already have.

Hey Ken, is that the seat that you are looking at returning, or a new seat that you just bought?
    I was actually looking pretty seriously at the Sparco Evo, but Im pretty sure Ill be ordering the Kirkeys today. Ive been worried that the Kirkey wouldnt fit well, but having verified a bunch of measurements, I think its going to fit pretty well. It is also taller than the factory seat, but theres plenty of room for it, and the base of the seat (atleast the 15" hip size Im going to be buying), is a bit narrower than a lot of the seats I looked at. Having looked, Im also thinking I may be able to get the factory roller to mount in the Kirkey.

FWIW, Kirkey also has a full halo road race seat: http://www.jegs.com/i/Kirkey/570/45700/10002/-1
    With the nice, full seat cover, it looks to be around $780 each.

Ill let you know how it goes with mine

I bought it a couple months ago, had Hank try and fit it and make a bracket that would fir the Sparco slid bracket I bought. Had to return it because it was just to high.

Looking at this one now. http://winecountrymotorsports.com/co...eat-p-332.html

The Sparco ergo appears to be 900mm tall? Thats 35.5" and the Cobra seat youre looking at now looks to be 35". How tall were the brackets? Theres plenty of room in the car for a 36" or 37" tall seat to sit...Where was the issue exactly? Is it because you have the seat pushed all the way to the back?

The large that I bought is 40" tall. Being 5" shorter, it should make a big difference. The seat is approx. an 1" wider, that may be a problem. I'll probably go take a look today.

Ahh ok. Yea, 5" is pretty significant. It would clear the roof, but I can see there being other issues with a 40" seat before the runners are installed.
    Thats one nice thing about the Aluminum seats: if part of the doesnt seem to work, I can easily bend or remove metal to make it fit better.

Will be interested to see how everything looks when you get it all finished. Any plans set to get out to the track in the next couple months? Im hoping to get out for open lapping at least once before the beginning of March...Will have the Kirkeys installed by then.

The Kirkey seats and covers showed up FINALLY! Some initial thoughts for people who might be on the fence about what seats to get:

- They fit fantastically, are comfortable, and have great build quality. Like most race seats, I think there should be a bit more lumbar support. I found memory foam on the net for $3/square foot. It will be trivial to add some to the Kirkey seat--another bonus of a seat like this.
    - I havent weighed them, but seat for seat, the 15" Kirkey with cover feels ever so slightly lighter than the factory seat.
    - I ordered the 15" seat for both driver and passenger. I was initially worried that the 15" might restrict who could fit in the passenger seat. But last night I had my dad sit in it, who is about 6'4" and 240 lbs and he seemed to fit fine, albeit maybe a tad bit more snug than one might like. I do think a 16" would fit in the Noble but I have reservations about whether a 17" would fit.
    - Originally, I had hoped that the factory seat runners would fit on the Kirkey seats. Unfortunately, the factory runners will not realistically fit. There are several dimensions that just make it unreasonable. Part of why I bought the Kirkeys was so I could simply drill holes in the seat to attach whatever/wherever I wanted. But there are multiple fitment issues with factory rollers.
    - Im planning, for now, to simply bolt the Kirkey directly to the floor. Because of the design of the seat and the distance from bolt holes for the factory runners, the front bolt will go through on a part of the seat that is not as well reinforced as Id like. So, Ill be drilling a 3rd hole in the floor on each side to attach to the seat. This will allow 6 points of contact for the seat, keep it in place better, and the work is going to be pretty trivial.

Ultimately, I think this seat is going to work out great. Ive heard horror stories about seat fitment and when I saw the factory runners wouldnt work, I got a bit worried. But having stepped back and looked at this situation, I think the Kirkey seats are going to pose minimal issue with installation, and if I decide to augment the install later down the road, Ill just drill some new holes and be good to go. Really good option IMO.

Ill post some pics and whatnot when I finally get all this installed...

Quote Originally Posted by jpwden View Post
    The Kirkey seats and covers showed up FINALLY! Some initial thoughts for people who might be on the fence about what seats to get:

- They fit fantastically, are comfortable, and have great build quality. Like most race seats, I think there should be a bit more lumbar support. I found memory foam on the net for $3/square foot. It will be trivial to add some to the Kirkey seat--another bonus of a seat like this.
    - I havent weighed them, but seat for seat, the 15" Kirkey with cover feels ever so slightly lighter than the factory seat.
    - I ordered the 15" seat for both driver and passenger. I was initially worried that the 15" might restrict who could fit in the passenger seat. But last night I had my dad sit in it, who is about 6'4" and 240 lbs and he seemed to fit fine, albeit maybe a tad bit more snug than one might like. I do think a 16" would fit in the Noble but I have reservations about whether a 17" would fit.
    - Originally, I had hoped that the factory seat runners would fit on the Kirkey seats. Unfortunately, the factory runners will not realistically fit. There are several dimensions that just make it unreasonable. Part of why I bought the Kirkeys was so I could simply drill holes in the seat to attach whatever/wherever I wanted. But there are multiple fitment issues with factory rollers.
    - Im planning, for now, to simply bolt the Kirkey directly to the floor. Because of the design of the seat and the distance from bolt holes for the factory runners, the front bolt will go through on a part of the seat that is not as well reinforced as Id like. So, Ill be drilling a 3rd hole in the floor on each side to attach to the seat. This will allow 6 points of contact for the seat, keep it in place better, and the work is going to be pretty trivial.

Ultimately, I think this seat is going to work out great. Ive heard horror stories about seat fitment and when I saw the factory runners wouldnt work, I got a bit worried. But having stepped back and looked at this situation, I think the Kirkey seats are going to pose minimal issue with installation, and if I decide to augment the install later down the road, Ill just drill some new holes and be good to go. Really good option IMO.

Ill post some pics and whatnot when I finally get all this installed...
    Please keep us posted - i need to get down 1.5 - 2" and the Kirkey might be the only way for me to go...pictures please

Hey td,
    I have some pics around somewhere I can post up in a few days--out of town at the moment.

I ended up mounting the Kirkeys to the factory seat runners--this was actually a total pain in the ass, but its an option if you dont want to buy or fab a mount for the seats. With the factory runners on the Kirkeys, you will sit noticeably lower in the car and the top of the seat will *barely* clear the roll bar. It is such a tight fitment that youll have trouble getting the seat bolted in and the covers on. Once its in place, its solid though. If you were to install them either directly on the floor board, or on a base, you might sit too low in the seat to really feel comfortable, but I havent tried this so cant say for sure.

As for the seats themselves, I found that they were very comfortable on the track...and not very comfortable for long drives. Of course, they arent meant for highway cruises, they are full track seats. And on the track, they were definitely great. Light years better for the track than the factory seats, but the car no longer becomes acceptable for dates nights lol