Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bypass Oil Filtration

Default Bypass Oil Filtration

Has anyone done this? Is there room? I understand the oil filter is a pain to get to. I have installed an Amsoil Bypass Filter setup on by my boat (2.8L Cummins Turbo Diesel) and my truck (FJ Cruiser).

For those not familiar with the concept it basically puts 10% of the oil through a non-bypass-able 2 micron absolute filter, and the rest through a normal oil filter (Amsoil claims 32 micron absolute rating). The idea being, off idle your oil isn't getting filtered in a normal setup but bypassing the filter. Most filters don't do better than 30 microns or so anyway, and most wear causing particles are in the 10-30 micron range, bigger ones being damage causing. As a bonus, you get the filters potentially relocated to a more convenient or suitable place, and about a quart or so more oil in the system. Restriction through the filter(s) actually goes down as you have much more media to flow oil through, and your oil is always being filtered. Additionally, you have two large filters, some amount of oil line, and a billet aluminum block all dissipating more heat from the oil. I've done lab oil analysis on my boat and truck for years and it does indeed keep the oil cleaner and reduce wear. This style setup is standard an pretty much all heavy machinery and large diesel power units due to the value of the engines and requirements for reliability in cases like hospital backup generators.

Thoughts? Don't have a car yet so dunno if there is the space.

Hi Hunter,

First off, IMO the oil filter is *not* hard to get to. It is, however, a pain in the ass to remove without making a mess because of the way it is situated under the car. There is also a wrapped exhaust pipe that sits directly below it, so making a mess is more of an issue than just cleaning some oil of the frame or the floor.

As for the actual installation of that thing, there is definitely not enough room for it in the oil filters present location. And I think youd be hard pressed to find a good place to relocate it so all that stuff would fit...Although, the A/C compressor is close, I suppose to you ditch that and put all that stuff in that area if you were so inclined.

Also, keep in mind that with a track pan, youll already be running about 9 quarts of oil. Adding another quart seems like a mighty significant oil change, especially if youre running expensive race stuff like some of us do.

Its easy to quantify the cleanliness of the oil, but much harder to measure and quantify the impact of a slightly cleaner oil over the course of 50k miles. My first instinct is to say that its probably not worth the hassle. But if youre able to produce some real world data (not about the oil but about the difference in wear and tear), Id certainly be interested in hearing about it. Id also be curious to follow what you decide to do if you go forward and try to relocate the oil filter...

Messy, messy. This, recommended by Jeff, helps a lot, but it's still not fun changing the filter:

https://www.amazon.com/PIG-Form-A-Fu.../dp/B00XAXAAYU

If you're really looking at easier oil changes, relocate the oil filter using a kit. It'll likely add another half a quart or so.

You could mount the filter on the frame rail in front of the intercooler, above the gearbox.
    There's just enough room there for it to fit and would be easier to manage.
    Its where I have mine, although I have a lot of room to work with.

Oil change is a breeze when you have enough room underneath.
    Access hole is more than ample to get filter out.
    Not sure why anyone thinks it is a pain or messy?

Name:  noblecribsnewwheels.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  333.0 KB

On that note, what hydraulic jacks will fit under the lift points of the car? I know my current one will not.

I bought a low profile one from harbor freight.
    Fits easy underneath.

I put an actual Ice hockey puck on it so the lifting point plastic piece on the noble fits flat on it.

Having cribs and a low profile jack made the 8 1/2 quart Oil change quick and painless to me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-68050.html

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKNOBLEM12GTO3R View Post
    Oil change is a breeze when you have enough room underneath.
    Access hole is more than ample to get filter out.
    Not sure why anyone thinks it is a pain or messy?
    Maybe easier on m12. On q1, difficult to remove filter without oil spillage due to the filter angle, and the filter isn't directly over the hole. The form-a-funnel directs the flow out the hole, helps a ton.
    Last edited by ZeroDown; 01-26-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: m400 > m12

Willy provided the solution to this a while back. It is called FormAFunnel.com. You have to form it at somewhat of a right angle to line it up with the opening in the belly but it works beautifully and not a drop spilt.

Thanks guys. The ease of changing is part one, but the superior filtration is the other factor of the bypass unit. I have a spare one on hand so I'll tinker and see if it will fit anywhere. The constant 2 micron filtration pretty much stops wear from debris... seeing as how rough turbos are on oil it seems like it could significantly benefit longevity of the engine/turbos, as well as the oil. Granted, different application, but I change every 15,000 to 30,000 in my FJ depending on usage(backed up with oil analysis to monitor for any abnormal wear or depletion of oil additives). I typically use it for towing ~9k of boat in the 100 degree SC summers so it get severe usage. So far, everything is perfect at 120k miles