Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone give me measurements of the airbox?

Well you've got to elaborate on "good". That can mean airflow, maximum size of particulate that makes it through, debris holding capacity, pressure drop, etc. for filtration I look to why big diesel engines use.

Quote Originally Posted by doug_porsche View Post
    Ken/Jon

You have non-factory filters on your car. Seemed longer by about a third than mine and Josh's factory setup.

With filter area, bigger is usually better! Oil coated filters are generally good filters (especially when exposed to weather like ours potentially are)
    Here is a random site that seems to offer choices http://www.spectreperformance.com/ca...lamp-on-cone-4

Doug

AEM make a dry Filter that i always replace the K & N filters with i will look it up and post. I posted the info a while back

Quote Originally Posted by gafernandez View Post
    AEM make a dry Filter that i always replace the K & N filters with i will look it up and post. I posted the info a while back
    On no worries I found your thread and recorded the part number.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
    Well you've got to elaborate on "good". That can mean airflow, maximum size of particulate that makes it through, debris holding capacity, pressure drop, etc. for filtration I look to why big diesel engines use.
    Sure. I am making the assumption that the smaller filter and the bigger filter have the same filter media and that it has acceptable filtration.

So then it starts to become simple math.

If your motor needs X cubic feet of air a minute, to produce your power requirements, and the filter media can flow Y cubic feet per minute, per square inch, then you will need X * Y (minimum) square inches of filter media to supply the engine. Anything more is just excess weight, unless....

As the filter gets dirty, the cubic feet per square inch starts to go down, so you need more square inches.

So, and I am making lots of assumptions, Kens bigger filters can get dirtier than my filter and not choke the engine.

So, bad pun alert, Size only matters if you plan on it getting dirty.

AEM 21-2011dk. This won't fit mine. My hoover pipe kit must be larger then normal. The I.D. of my filter is 3".

https://www.aemintakes.com/search/pr...d=4162627&rw=1

Bottom 5.5"
    Top 4.75"
    Flang length 1.125"
    Flange I.D. 2.5"

Last edited by ken7258; 01-31-2017 at 05:24 PM.