Thread: Towing car on open flatbed trailer?

Default Towing car on open flatbed trailer?

So, I already have a flatbed trailer capable of towing the car, and pretty sure it could make it up the ramps. I hesitate to buy another trailer though I'd prefer an enclosed for obvious reasons... anyone towed open and how do you keep road debris and such from damaging the finish of the car?

I tow enclosed have never tried open for the exact reason you are mentioning

If youre towing less than a few hundred miles, you can rig the car cover over the car and it works well if its secured properly. If its more than a few hours drive or you plan on going fast, you cant reliably use the car cover.

Last year I towed my Noble about 8-9 hours on an open trailer from Denver to Utah Motorsports Campus. Honestly, I really didnt have any problems. I worried about it too, but I had zero issues with road debris hitting the car. It was just fine.

I use to have open trailer and fitted an air dam in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gafernandez View Post
    I tow enclosed have never tried open for the exact reason you are mentioning
    Yeah I want to eventually get a trailer to tow with, but finding one that doesn't require me to purchase a new tow vehicle as well is a little hard. That an I'm rapidly accumulating trailers... right now I have a motorcycle trailer, 7k lb flatbed utility trailer, 7 ton dump trailer, toy hauler/camper, dog trailer... its getting to be a big pain moving them all around in the summer to keep the grass alive and mowing around them lol

I assume any enclosed trailer labeled a car trailer is capable of the Rossion's footprint right? Do I need to look specifically at low profile trailers/ramps or can the car get in most car trailers easily enough?

If you are worried about it and you don't want to spend the money on a new trailer and tow vehicle, I agree with the above post, attach a "dam" in the front of the trailer like this:
    http://www.trailerworld.com/2017-sun...t-JTyb|hm.html

It certainly will be more protected behind the air dam than it is when you are just driving down the road behind other cars. The angle of attack on the ramps is definitely a concern that has to be dealt with. However, it is not nearly as bad as it could be because the front does not overhang the wheels by a lot, as compared to something like a Corvette. The back of the car is not much of an issue at all in my experience.
    --Calvin

How about a lot of Clearbra on the car?