Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFR vs EGT

Default AFR vs EGT

Does anyone here tune their car by EGT?

On everyone other car Ive tuned, I always go by EGT, as there were always well documented temps that you should stay under. While AFR and EGT are certainly coupled, it is ultimately the EGT temps that are what are physically destroying the engine. So, I was about to order an AEM UEGO AFR unit but now Im second guessing that decision, wondering if I should get an EGT instead...

Thoughts?

I tune using both wideband AFR and EGT. Easier to find "magic" AFR while logging EGT. Assuming you have a fast response low mass EGT probe.
    Heat makes power, heat kills engines.

Josh, I have a Zeitronix ZT-2 wideband with ZR-2 multi gauge in my car. Jon and I put it in.

Ziggy, what do I need to order to see my EGT temps on the ZR2 gauge?

Zt-2 already has built in everything you need to read EGT. Our low mas fast response EGT probe plugs right into the Zt-2. Or you can use your own K type probe if you crimp provided two pin connector.

For now, got the wideband O2 and will be welding the bung in on Saturday.

Where is the most convenient place to connect gauge power to the ignition switch? It appears on the schematics that the remote for the radio goes to INT18 pin 2 on the wiring harness? Where does INT18 terminate in the car? Do you use that, or go somewhere else?

great question, I have the same for power window and side mirror!

I wired a toggle switch into the light between the seats. Kind of ghetto looking and you need to turn the switch off or you'll drain the battery after a few days.

There is an ignition switch which supplies power only when the car is on. That is the same switch that is used by the radios remote connection to keep the radio from drawing power when the car is off. Im not sure yet the best/easiest place to tap in yet (anyone? Zeitronix?) but once I find out, you should swing by and we can fix yours...
    If I dont get any good answers today, Ill have to spend the time tomorrow to figure it out, so well know soon either way...
    Last edited by jpwden; 02-17-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Easiest place is behind the radio.

Take the passenger footwell cover off, then the screws that hold the lower panel, then you can access the wires behind the stereo.

You can then route the wires as necessary. There's a small hole behind the center dash console that leads to the tunnel which you can run the 02 wiring into the car (instead of the firewall).

Thanks Kam, that worked perfect.
    Except, Im a bit disappointed about the quality of those pieces holding the stereo in place...Gonna have to do something about that eventually.
    For now, Im happy to be monitoring a/f--I went with the AEM X-Series UEGO unit after reading a number of reviewers having issues with the Innovative MTX-L. The AEM unit seems solid and has a good deal of functionality, etc.