Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGT sensor (engine gas temp.)

Default EGT sensor (engine gas temp.)

I bought this from Zeitronix to hook up to my ZT-2 data logger. Going to tap into the rear header/manifold. Is this a good data point to have or not really that important. Once clam and intercooler is off, looks east to drill and tap. Biggest pain is running cable to ZT-s box behind passenger seat.

Thanks,

Ken

EGT usually refers to Exhaust Gas Temperature, and that measurement is very important to optimum power tuning. Relatively small changes to ignition timing and/or fuel/air mixture strength can dramatically affect the EGT of each cylinder, and could be the difference between good power and piston melt-down.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

So it sounds like something I should put in, especially since I already bought it.

Thanks,

Ken

Heat makes power, heat melts stuff Good to know how much heat stuff sees
    I got EGT probes at both banks. One is better then non.

Your ZT-2 will only handle one, correct?

Hey Ken,

I have *always* mounted EGTs at the exhaust manifold collector, where the 3 banks meet. Some people mount in one of the individual runners, but youll often find that temperatures will be slightly higher in the collector where all the gases come together and so many prefer that location to have a bit more of a safety buffer.

Personally, I think EGTs are as important than a/f, if not more, in tuning an engine for safety--it is ultimately the temperature that melts stuff. a/f ratios only give you a guess of how hot things are going to be, EGTs actually tell you...

I'm thinking or mounting in the middle of the tubes (headers) coming off the rear turbo, is this correct. The rear turbo is easy to get once the clam and intercooler are off.

Thanks Josh

Sure thing!

Yes, the point at which the 3 header tubes meet into one and then funnel into the turbo, that is the collector. I would recommend that you tap your EGT probe in right there...

Since using the rear turbo will extend the distance from the cabin a couple of feet, just make sure that your lead is long enough to reach to you gauge before you tap into the collector. Route the lead and do a full mock up first, and make sure you have a bit of slack so you can secure the lead along the way...

EDIT:
    Heres a photobucket link I found to the headers:
    http://s803.photobucket.com/user/Laz...fcda7.jpg.html

You want to get as centralized on all 3 header pipes as possible. Looking at it here though, Im a bit worries about getting too close to the flange with those weld lines. You might space it in the middle, a few inches away from the flange so its still in the collector but far enough back from the flange that it doesnt interfere with those weld lines...
    Last edited by jpwden; 04-13-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Perfect, thanks Josh.

Ken

Well the rear header won't work. I took the intercooler and box off (love the 30 screws) and the header is underneath a plate and pretty far in. All the wrap work I did on the straight pipes looks great, just no way to get easily to the headers. Looking straight down at the front turbo in the middle of the car and at the front header, it's very easy to get at. It's actually upside down from Josh' picture, fairly flat and should be easy to drill and tap with a 1/8 NPT 27.

Zeitronix instructions say the headers must be at least .12" or 3mm thick to drill a 21/64" hole for the 1/8 npt Zeitronix egt sensor to be screwed into? . Our headers are at least that thick aren't they?

Thanks,

Ken

Name:  20170415_194000_resized.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  228.6 KBName:  20170415_194012_resized.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  325.6 KBName:  20170415_194030_resized.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  291.3 KB
    Last edited by ken7258; 04-15-2017 at 09:52 PM.