Thread: Radar detector hard wiring

Default Radar detector hard wiring

Hi!

I am looking to hard wire my radar detector into my Q1. I know where the fuses are, the design and location of the panel make it less than optimal for running and hiding the wire. I am not familiar enough with the underside of the dash to just go poking around. I was hoping one of you would have some advice where I could connect this to a non constant hot so that it just comes on when we start the car. I was thinking splicing into the radio, but are there easier options to get to?

Mine is already buried deep in the confines of that dash by the previous owner! I wish i knew the correct way to get it all apart - i need to filter the DC source as my 9500 goes off when accelerating hard -google on it, it's a common problem and may require filtering the power at the connection. But it could be exhaust fumes...either way it is as annoying as all the junk K Band everywhere now...

Isn’t police in your area using LIDARs? Radar detectors don’t work on those...

I used the existing fuse box with a split fuse adapter (like the Tapa-circuit adapter). I ran a separate wire forward under center console, was really easy, distance is short and didn't have to cut into anything. I did it for a powered antenna, but should work fine for a radar detector. Run the return to any ground location. I believe several of the fuses only get power with ignition on but can't recall details.

Quote Originally Posted by phun-ky View Post
    Isn’t police in your area using LIDARs? Radar detectors don’t work on those...
    yes, but still mostly KA