Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian hackers target nobleforums?

1. Default

Thanks for the replies and input. I will pass it along to the owner of the web site and his IT guy and see if they see anything on the server end. I’m not seeing any of this on my end at all.

I'm getting a different redirect now. To a game site.
    -------------------------
    Jeff
    Noble parts for sale, see my Noble website: http://Noblecars.org

Still happening with me as well.
    Over 3000lbs=boring. 0-60 over 4 seconds=boring. Under 1g=boring. Noble, not boring.

Yes, unfortunately we've been hacked with a malicious redirect type of malware. Right now, we're going through all the software and data on this site, then we'll be deleting all the software and reinstalling it from a clean copy. After that's done, we'll be going through the data to make sure that nothing malicious was slipped into the database, and we're working on tightening up the site security, to lessen the chance that this happens again. In the next few days, we may be down temporarily as we reinstall the software and go through the database, but we're trying to keep the downtime to a minimum. Hopefully, we won't lose any posts, PMs, or any other types of data on the site.

As far as we can tell, usernames and passwords were unaffected - what happened was malicious code that did the redirect was added to some of the forum software. However, it wouldn't hurt to change your password after we clean up the site. Also, it's a good idea to use a different usernames and passwords for critical sites (like online banking, social media, etc.) than you use on sites like this forum.

I don't really understand why this was done, or who did it - my best guess is that there's more malware on the site that you're redirected to, or they're trying to raise the number of hits on that site. Whatever you do, don't play the game, don't enter any information, just close the window. Run a malware detector on your system - Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner (by Malwarebytes) seem to do a good job if you're on a Windows machine. I don't know which products to recommend for those of you on Macs or Linux boxes, but if anyone knows of anything to recommend, please let the rest of us know. Clear your browser cache, so that you aren't looking at an old, infected copy of the site - you'll also have to clear your cache after we finish cleaning up everything.

Anyways, we're working as fast (and as thoroughly) as possible to fix this problem. Thanks for your patience.

Hi folks -

We've finished cleaning off the forum! Please clear your browser cache, and run a malware scanner just to make sure. If you still get any weird pop-ups after you clear your browser cache and reload the page, please let me know.

During the clean up process, I found a bunch of outdated and suspect files that I backed up and removed from the system - I'm pretty sure that all the files I removed were no longer in use, but I may have accidentally broken something. Please let me know if you run into any error messages, or broken features.

Thanks again!

Hey!
    I had used the "Contact us" button to send you guys(admins) a message over a month ago when I noticed a Crypto-currency miner running on your site for browsers with hardware acceleration. I didn't receive any confirmation or reply and was wondering if you ever saw the saw my message; almost made me suspect that a rogue admin might have intentionally added the miner lol. I had also listed the Russian domain that the miner was pointing to, after some investigating. Guess I should have just made a post like this one!

Definitely glad it’s fixed.
    Navigating the forum was infuriating while this was going on. It seemed like every click/refresh was triggering a pop-up window...

Thanks for fixing this! It must have been a royal pain.
    -------------------------
    Jeff
    Noble parts for sale, see my Noble website: http://Noblecars.org

I have to chim in as well-- thanks for straightening this out.