Thread: Time to Replace Battery?

Default Time to Replace Battery?

I suddenly lost electrical power in my Rossion yesterday, noticed steering became heavy (power steering shut down), and the engine/RPM gauge went down to zero. Luckily I was able to pull to the side of the road and stop. I was surprised to be able to re-start the car and drive it back home. Being the 3rd owner, I am inclined to believe that the battery (Yellow Top Optima?) has never been replaced. The car is a 2010 (RUS#56). I am not sure what the Optima battery model # is, or if anybody else has replaced their battery with an equivalent brand/model battery, please let me know which one? I plan to order one and swap it out myself. Also read on here about relocating the battery to behind the passenger seat, which sounds like a great idea. Thanks, everyone!

I would not rule out the battery, but it probably would be a good idea to also check for loose/melted connections at or near the alternator.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Does not sound like a battery issue since the car restarted. you have a lose connection somewhere.

I always replace the batteries with red tops

I’m just replacing the battery (and alternator). The model # is D34 or D34/78. Both will work 34/78 is the double terminal version and usually available in the local auto part store.

but as Willy said, it doesn’t sound like you have a battery problem. It could be the alternator. Mine had cracked stator leads and eventually caused a spike that blew the main 100A fuse and killed all all diodes inside the alternator.

I agree- check the wiring-

i had a yellow top and it literally melted. the red top i put in is working fine so far

The only difference between yellow and red is the chemistry (read the stuff they put in the water) inside the battery. If you have fried the yellow top, you are likely to fry the red top as well. It is likely you battery is closer to exhaust or turbo then it needs to be. I'd check for that...