Thread: Thinking about a Noble - Chicago area

Default Thinking about a Noble - Chicago area

Good evening everyone,

I just joined the forum to start my research on a Noble. I sold my 1969 911 last year after 20 years of ownership. I narrowed down the replacement vehicle to a Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora, Cayman or Noble. I've driven everything except for the Noble.

I really like the looks of the M12 GTO but haven't driven or ridden in one. A few years ago there was one for sale by me but I was reluctant to drive it since I wasn't ready to buy. I was afraid I would like it to much and do an impulse purchase. Now I regret not driving it.

My main purpose for the car is late night drives, sunrise drives and general back road corner carving. It is my stress relief mechanism. I loved the visceral feel of the old 911 and I expect the Noble to be similar but with way more power, grip, braking and even more intense experience.

I did have a Viper on my list but after driving one I did not like how big the car felt. I prefer light, nimble cars but the Viper didn't make me want to buy one.

Over the next few weeks I will be reviewing all the threads on this forum to learn as much as I can. My hope is to narrow down the list of cars to one or two. I plan to purchase something by next summer.

I live in the Chicago area and am curious if there are many members of the forum in the Chicago area who would be wiling to show me their cars in the Spring and maybe even offer a ride. I attend many of the local cars & coffees but have not seen a Noble at one. I've only seen two Nobles on the street but was not able to talk to the owner.

Looking forward to seeing some Nobles out in the wild soon, and maybe even in my garage!

Thumbs up Noble purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Keitho64 View Post
    Good evening everyone,

I just joined the forum to start my research on a Noble. I sold my 1969 911 last year after 20 years of ownership. I narrowed down the replacement vehicle to a Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora, Cayman or Noble. I've driven everything except for the Noble.

I really like the looks of the M12 GTO but haven't driven or ridden in one. A few years ago there was one for sale by me but I was reluctant to drive it since I wasn't ready to buy. I was afraid I would like it to much and do an impulse purchase. Now I regret not driving it.

My main purpose for the car is late night drives, sunrise drives and general back road corner carving. It is my stress relief mechanism. I loved the visceral feel of the old 911 and I expect the Noble to be similar but with way more power, grip, braking and even more intense experience.

I did have a Viper on my list but after driving one I did not like how big the car felt. I prefer light, nimble cars but the Viper didn't make me want to buy one.

Over the next few weeks I will be reviewing all the threads on this forum to learn as much as I can. My hope is to narrow down the list of cars to one or two. I plan to purchase something by next summer.

I live in the Chicago area and am curious if there are many members of the forum in the Chicago area who would be wiling to show me their cars in the Spring and maybe even offer a ride. I attend many of the local cars & coffees but have not seen a Noble at one. I've only seen two Nobles on the street but was not able to talk to the owner.

Looking forward to seeing some Nobles out in the wild soon, and maybe even in my garage!
    First ride will blow your mind. This is a very special, unique vehicle. You will not be sorry.

Yes, the Noble will not disappoint. I had a 911 Turbo (water cooled), a C5 Vette with a roots supercharger, and a C6 Vette with a centrifugal supercharger. My Noble is quicker than all 3 of them, is much more nimble, and has more neutral handling. I tell people who ask me about it that it has the responses of a house fly. I used to daily drive my Noble (short commute), but now I use it the way you plan to use yours.
    -------------------------
    Jeff
    Noble parts for sale, see my Noble website: http://Noblecars.org

4. Default

I can sort of answer your question.
    I had a fairly well (street) setup 74 911. torsion bars, sway bars, 3.0Ltr motor. (standard Pelican knowledge stuff)

I got to play with a Boxter, not own but play with, and it is an awesome car. It just, and this is purely a personal opinion, was not an event to drive. It did everything exactly as you would expect it to do it, and it did it very well, but I just missed the event. (really bad analogy, The Boxter was a predictably great four star restaurant, but I just kept craving a cheeseburger at a beach bar with a live band!)

Then I got to drive a Lotus Elise for the weekend.
    Talk about an event! (Cheeseburger at a beach bar, that is hosting bachelorette party and a live band!)
    The Elise turned in pretty much exactly how I had been trying to get the 911 to turn in.
    I swear that the steering was so communicative that you could drive the car blindfolded.
    The car is small, you will rub shoulders with the passenger, it is a challenge to get into and out of, doesn't ride as nice as the Boxter, the heater doesnt work as good as the Boxter, the air-conditioning doesn't work as well as the Boxter, the build quality was not as good as a Boxter, but it was such an event to drive, I didnt care.
    It was a car that after a spirited drive, after shutting if off in the gurage, i would catch myself delaying getting out of the car, just giggling. (did I mention that the beach bar was hosing a bachelorette party!)
    I added a supercharge, optimized the suspension (camber, chassis stiffing, shocks and springs) made it a fabulous toy.

Then the Noble's finally depreciated enough to hit my price point so I moved from the Lotus to a Noble.

The M12 is, without question, the most dramatic accelerating car I have ever played with! (just for reference, when Randy Pobst drove my car, he giggled on the backstretch of the race track)
    When I bought the car the suspension was a bit tired, (from disuse, not over use). Taken some time to get the suspension dialed in. I would rate the suspension/steering communication second to the Lotus, couple more improvements, I will have it at Elise quality.

Maniacally the Noble is good, if you know, and keep within, its limits.
    Yep, fairly easy to add HP until you are breaking transmissions. Seems 425-450ish HP is a good mix of dramatic performance yet preserving longevity.
    You will find plenty of advice, example of tunes exceeding 450 HP, and with the correct checkbook, can be reliable.

Good news for you, other than I am almost typed out, is with your choices of cars, Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora, Cayman or Noble, there is no wrong choice.

One car may fit your personality better than the other two, but each and every one of them is a hell of a ride.

If you are in Colorado, stop on by, we will take it out and giggle.

I am not too far away in Des Moines, but mine is currently in storage for winter. if you're willing to make the 5 hour drive, you're more than welcome to come check it out in late March or after.