Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E85 gas

You really wouldn't want to run E85, in fact you would want to go the other direction. E85 has less energy and therefore creates less power, plus as stated above the alcohol wreaks havoc on many of the fuel system parts. If you happen to live near a gas station that has ethanol free gas, its makes a noticeable difference. This site is a handy guide: https://www.pure-gas.org

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ecohen2 View Post
    You really wouldn't want to run E85, in fact you would want to go the other direction. E85 has less energy and therefore creates less power, plus as stated above the alcohol wreaks havoc on many of the fuel system parts. If you happen to live near a gas station that has ethanol free gas, its makes a noticeable difference. This site is a handy guide: https://www.pure-gas.org

Ed
    E-85 has benefits too though as long as you set your fuel system up for it. it does create less energy 1for1, but it also has a much higher resistance to detonation due to high pressures so it allows more boost before you reach a pre-detonation stage. Good rule of thumb is it takes 1/3 more fuel to make the same amount of power, so with larger pump, injectors etc... you can ultimately make more power with a boosted engine on E-85 with correct setup.

Someone should make a list of everything that needs to be done... I am not sure the level of effort to do it safely for your engine makes sense for many Noble owners...

I agree that many noble owners don't have a real strong reason to go E-85 with the stock transmission as the power is easily reached on pump gas to push the drivetrains limits, without risking any detonation from pump gas. For those running sequential trans or somehow upgraded their stock units to handle more than 500ft lbs consistently, E-85 can definitely be a benefit to make more power safely.

as far as a list of everything that would need to be done...

Fuel Cell compatible with E-85
    larger fuel pump rated for E-85
    Larger injectors.
    Re-Tune

I believe that is it.... (Correct me if I am wrong)

You could also anodize the tank instead of getting a fuel cell. Good idea to verify your fuel lines are also E85 safe, regular rubber might degrade.
    Regarding the fuel cell part number, I don't have it. But if you contact fuel safe, they should be able to look it up. https://fuelsafe.com/