Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A free M400 Kind of........

1. Default A free M400 Kind of........

I build precision rifles for a living and recently had a customer/friend tell me he had a M400 thats been sitting in a trailer for 5-6 years with zero maintenance. Told me to come pick it up and pay him whenever or however I wanted to. Im not going to say how much but around a 3rd of what he has into it. Car comes with the trailer it was sitting in. He is the original owner and drove it around for a few months and tracked it once or twice. What issues should I be looking for since it's been sitting for so long? Thanks in advance.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

2. Default

You need to send the car to Willie (Gafernandez) on the forum, or Troy or Hoover to have a complete inspection. Nice find, and welcome to the club!

Excellent! Concur with above, probably need a complete look through. I suspect some of the hoses in the engine compartment (particularly the coolant lines to turbos) are near failure due to the heat generated there and age, so probably best to just go a head and replace most of the smaller coolant lines and vacuum hoses. That way you won't be chasing phantom coolant or vacuum leaks and the inspection can look for real issues if present.

From the picture, it looks like the previous owner installed a front mount oil cooler. This says to me he prepared it for track use, so I wonder what other upgrades he made?
    Over 3000lbs=boring. 0-60 over 4 seconds=boring. Under 1g=boring. Noble, not boring.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    From the picture, it looks like the previous owner installed a front mount oil cooler. This says to me he prepared it for track use, so I wonder what other upgrades he made?
    I know it has a coolant bottle behind the passenger seat that blasts cold air into the intake via a button somewhere on the dash. I believe the car was built by Turbohoses.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoatMachine View Post
    I know it has a coolant bottle behind the passenger seat that blasts cold air into the intake via a button somewhere on the dash. I believe the car was built by Turbohoses.
    that's just crazy?

what chassis number
    doesn't look like my oil cooler.
    I always, always put them behind the Radiator on the drivers side.
    interesting barn (trailer) Find
    congrats
    Troy
    -Troy Fralick
    troy@nobleupgrades.com
    Tallahassee Speed Shop, Inc.
    5338 Gateway Drive
    Tallahassee, Fl 32303
    850-597-8919
    904-838-9150 cell
    And
    Remade by Hand, Inc.
    Porsche Restorations
    173 McCallister Rd
    Crawfordville, FL 32327

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NobleTech View Post
    that's just crazy?

what chassis number
    doesn't look like my oil cooler.
    I always, always put them behind the Radiator on the drivers side.
    interesting barn (trailer) Find
    congrats
    Troy
    Owner told me that TurboHoses in Livermore Ca worked and set up the car. Did you used to work for them or own the shop? Looks like your out of Florida. I'm a little confused as your reply implies your connected with Turbohoses? I tried calling them last week but nobody answered. Im going to try again to find out everything I can about the car. Thanks for your input.

What is the current status on this car? Did it find a home yet? Does the owner have an idea what he is looking for out of it and just curious if it has ever been registered in California? Does the current owner have any documentation on the car at all?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo986 View Post
    What is the current status on this car? Did it find a home yet? Does the owner have an idea what he is looking for out of it and just curious if it has ever been registered in California? Does the current owner have any documentation on the car at all?
    It's at a shop in Redding in the process of draining all the fluids and doing whatever it needs before firing it back up. I should know in a week or two if there was any damage from sitting so long. The car is registered and is non-op'd. It's mine until i decide what to do with it. First things first is to get it running.

10. Default

I also found out that Turbohoses didn't originally put the running gear in, but rather worked on the car at a later date.