Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tail lights

Default New tail lights

Venting tail lights... I still don't know if I like them but fortunately it's all fully reversible

Name:  IMG_7226.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  505.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7273.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  502.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7274.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  488.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7247.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  488.4 KB

I like that a lot. Did you have to fabricate them, or did you find them someplace?

I had to make everything (except for the LED rings) from scratch. The enclosures are shaped by stretching a fabric over the molds and then adding some fiber glass. The lenses are milled out of a 1/4" sheet of red acrylic.

Name:  IMG_7080.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  520.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_7087.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  533.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_7113.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  547.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_7200.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  506.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_E7140.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  501.7 KB

Thats great work man, I really like the idea and execution of them!

Can you show us a picture of the turn signal and reverse lights on?

The reverse light is mounted in the middle (for now). You can see the turn signals on and off below. The brake lights are all 4 rings on.
    Name:  24217D98-41D7-48ED-905C-4C4C2FBC4293.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  488.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I love the realisation but I would have gone for a stripe design like most mordern supercars. If only I had skills....
    Could you work us through the process in more details?

Although I'm not a fan of the design, I highly respect the craftmanship it takes to engineer and build the taillamps.

I feel like they need an outer lens to cover the entire lamp... something feels off to me. Always felt that the UK guys who swapped over, their cars looked less gorgeous.

Someone had a Rossi with horizontal LED lights, surrounded by mesh. It looked like the light was suspended in the housing. Looked pretty good, but for the life of me I can't find it.
    I wonder how if the inner lights were smaller, ala GTR R34, would it help my opinion? Does my opinion even matter?

Either way, amazing good work! Love seeing people tackling DIY projects and the process they go thru.

Actually thanks for a honest feedback Driven! I'm not sold on the design myself but it grew on me a bit over time. I guess I'm also a bit biased
    I saw the horizontal light bars as well. I think it was on FastLap's car. I considered them as well but in the end both designs expose the old light wells so I tried something different.

I also considered "inset" design (see below) but that was way more complicated so I started with this one.
    Name:  C3EC5DFD-5ADB-44FD-8F56-813BD406B9FA.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  487.8 KB
    Last edited by phun-ky; 05-09-2020 at 08:59 AM.

I havent really look at it but the horizontal or curved LED stripes to follow outter lines of original light and the middle with mesh with a vent from the wheel arches could look good and be functional