Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Gauge issues, any suggestions/ideas?

Question Fuel Gauge issues, any suggestions/ideas?

I sent my car to a member of our forum (I won't say names because I don't want to ruin someone's reputation) and after I spent 4K with that person to figure out what is wrong and fix the fuel gauge (mind you this issue started on the previous visit to the same guy), he failed miserably to fix it...

According to him, all the wires are good and he told me it was my originally gauge faulty so I bought a new one (he sent me back my original one a month later and all in pieces). After a month and a half I received the gauge and I asked him if I need to do anything besides plugging it in. He told me it is a plug and play. I plugged the gauge and when I turn on the ignition the gauge it's live and does the "reset" dance but then it doesn't read the gas tank and goes back to "0". The gauge is brand new so that can't be the problem, can it be the connections on the tank or the internals of the tank?

Anyone with experience on this, I appreciate the suggestions.

Thank you,

Serafim

I think it could be tank connections and/or internals. These cars can be frustrating and difficult at times even for the typical experts..

Will this fit the Rossion as well?

I know what you mean, but after 4K for this issue I feel that it should have been fixed... Some people need to stick to what they know and not pretend they can fix everything... But you know what they say "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"!

The fuel level system is fairly basic, with only a few basic components:
    - the gauge.
    - the sender.
    - wiring between the two.

I've had a sender get stuck in the tank, where it was lodged against the side and won't read the correct fuel level.
    I decided to change the hose barb fittings on my tank to proper AN fittings -- which required dropping the fuel tank. While it was out, I pulled the sender and dislodged it. Tested the sender with a voltmeter to see it would send the proper voltage and reinstalled.

Also, I doubt Rossion changed the fuel tank design, so it's likely it's the same as the Nobles.

A while back I had the same problem with my fuel gauge. I looked into it myself, could not figure it out, and lived with it not working for 3 years. Then on a road trip heading from CT to VA I accidently left my cap behind at a gas station. The next day I realized what happened because the garage smelled like gas. I got lucky, found a new cap on ebay, and my fuel gauge has been working properly ever since for the last 2 years. I don't know if it was the cap or driving around for 100 miles without a cap that fixed it but I'd take a $100 gamble on a new cap.

I would take the $100 gamble as well, but I'm already 4K in the hole and I do want to figure it out since I would like to drive it a little bit during the summer season. I have removed the fuel tank and I ordered a new fuel level sender, I will know if that worked by the end of the week.

Default Fuel Gauge issues, any suggestions/ideas?

Have you ever considered that it may be possible that you received a bad gauge from the company that made it. This is not unheard of. I just went through this with brand new O2 sensors. I couldn't figure out why my front sensor wasn't reading after I had just rewired/replaced my damaged connector and installed the new O2 sensors. I was about to rip my wires out when my buddy suggested that I swap back to one of my old sensors just to see if it was a bad sensor before I blamed my expert wiring and low and behold, it was a bad sensor. So, these things do happen. Just a thought...
    Last edited by Jimbo986; 08-18-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo986 View Post
    Have you ever considered that it may be possible that you received a bad gauge from the company that made it.
    The OP did say the gauge does its initial test sweep when powered up -- although that isn't a 100% indication that it will read the correct fuel level, it is indicative that the needle will move when powered.