Thread: Coolant change.

Default Coolant change.

I have a Rossion, but assume the cooling system for the Noble is the same. I need to flush/replace the coolant. I havenít crawled under, but most cars you pull the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator, run motor to get the thermostat opened up, flush fresh water, let it drain, close radiator plug and fill with new coolant. Has anybody done this (Iím sure most of you have) and is this the procedure, or something different for our cars.

thanks,
    Jack

My understanding is you can get air pockets if you fully drain. You need a vacuum fill kit to get the air out if that is the case. I routinely do 1/2 of my coolant (annually) by releasing the lower distribution block hose (the multi fitting aluminum block just below coolant resevoir) and adding a tube as a siphon. Drape it up and over the side pod and give it a little suction and it works fine. It drains a surprising amount out, but it is just from the back of car so you cant get bubbles in front. I just refill with 50/50 after that. I could probably leave coolant longer by doing entire flush... but it's easy to do just half annually and coolant is cheap.

Because the radiator does not have a drain plug the easiest way to drain the coolant is to just remove the front left wheel and undo the lower rad hose. But only about 60% will come out by doing this so you will have to repeat the process a couple of times to flush it out. I have never experienced any issues with air pockets after refilling probably due to the reservoir tank being higher than any other part of the cooling system.

Thanks for the replies esrandi and BB8. I didn’t explain in my original post, but the motivation is a puddle of coolant under the car. I removed screws on the most forward center plate and could see the coolant leak coming from heater hose connection where then rubber hose connects to a 4 way metal connector. There is just enough room to get one hand up in there (I have small hands fortunately) and looks to be the only way to get access, I don’t think pulling the interior console would help. So I’ll need to remove the clamp, pull the rubber hose back, clean the metal connector and put it back together, tightening the clamp, hopefully that works. It’s one of those 45 minutes jobs you’re afraid to start because you could see it turning into a giant fiasco.

in the meantime, I went on amazon and ordered an airlift cooling system filler ($120). On page 5 of chapter 7 of the noble power train installation manual, they get into the process of initial fill of the cooling system where they recommend the airlift tool. They do also mention there is a 3/8” purge line coming out the top left side of the radiator and run the engine if the airlift tool is not available. But I ordered the tool anyway.

ill drain the radiator by pulling the lower radiator hose on the left side. Wish me luck with the heater hose repair.

jack

Good call on the airlift. I have heard some can get small pockets of air that otherwise don't clear and then you get weird overheating issues.

If you are doing the front, suggest you do most of the front lines just in case. Our cars are actually getting pretty old and you'll probably just end up doing the job again in a year or so..