Thread: Coilovers

Default Coilovers

Have only removed springs on a Mustang; compress them and drop them out.
    Do I back the adjustment lugs out to relieve the preload on these coilovers?
    I will have to back them out to fit a coil compresser; that is certain.
    Or do I support the spindle with a jack , remove the upper ball joint and then lower the jack to to remove preload?
    I can't find anything on Youtube that fully explains this.

I meant collars not lugs.

Never mind
    I feel foolish. I am used to struts and coil springs and have seen the injuries when these get loose . I was deathly afraid of removing my coilover as I could not fit a spring compresser into the spring coils assuming that the spring is pre-loaded.

I then gently jacked the spindle and removed the bolt from the lower control arm, then the lower bolt attaching the coilover to the control arm. Voila! , no spring flying out of control. I guess the only time these are loaded is when the car wheight is on them, maintaining ride heigh

I feel foolish. I am used to struts and coil springs and have seen the injuries when these get loose . I was deathly afraid of removing my coilover as I could not fit a spring compresser into the spring coils assuming that the spring is pre-loaded.

I then gently jacked the spindle and removed the bolt from the lower control arm, then the lower bolt attaching the coilover to the control arm. Voila! , no spring flying out of control. I guess the only time these are loaded is when the car wheight is on them, maintaining ride heigh