Thread: Registering In Tennessee?

Default Registering In Tennessee?

Anyone have luck registering a vehicle in TN?

I'll share my experience thus far:

I spoke with Sharon at Nashville DMV (615-862-6251). Sharon told me all that is needed to register is the title and registration (out of state) for the vehicle. Once Sharon found out I don't have a VIN, she sent me to the State of Tennessee.

I spoke with Matthew with the State Of Tennessee (615-741-3101). He provided a website to check out (NashvilleVIP.org). I was sent to the local OPUS Inspection Facility for more information.

I spoke with Caroline at the OPUS Inspection Facility (615-361-3600). Caroline had the Referee Mechanic, Andrew, speak with me about emissions testing requirements. Andrew said for the testing requirements, I would need to speak with the Metro Health Department.

I called the Metro Health Department (615-340-5656). They sent me to OPUS Headquarters.

I spoke with Estevan at OPUS Headquarters (866-623-8378). Estevan explained they only operate the equipment and program in various states and it's up to local state government to create their own testing requirements. He put in an email to have the local OPUS Inspection Facility reach out to me.

I received a call and spoke with Andrew (again). Andrew insisted the Metro Health Department is the governing agency to speak with. Andrew said he would call me back with more information.

I made another call to Nashville DMV and spoke with a Supervisor, Margie, at the Davidson County Clerks Office. Margie requested that I email her documents (title, registration, photos of the chassis number) so she could forward to the Department of Revenue to see what is needed to register and any emissions testing requirements.

I'll add more when I get any updates <fingers crossed>

Default Titling

I would open in LLC in Montana or Florida and save yourself the headache

I’d rather register it properly.

In CA using a Montana LLC is a huge red flag and known as foreign registration and if caught, you would be held responsible for all fees and penalties retroactively to when first registered. I see it happen rather frequently at the local DA’s office and have several friends who’ve been caught and had to pay the fees.

I could also postpone the registration until January 1 when all counties outside of Davidson will no longer require emissions testing ����