Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant lines

Default Coolant lines

Had a coolant line break today on the Q1, of course on my way to put in away for the winter. The line is directly above the rear turbo. Right by the intake hoses and just below the inter cooler hose. Anyone ever experience this line break or leak? Definitely need a new line. It was spewing out about 3Ē before itís connection point.

Tim, sorry to hear that. Bummer, so soon after buying it. Turbohoses did the work on the turbos, might reach out to them if trouble sourcing a replacement. When you do to refill the coolant, you’ll need an airlift to make sure you get all the air out of the system. I can send you mine to use if you don’t have access to one there.

Jack

Yeah it was a bummer. At least it happened on my way to park it for the winter. Only a mile away from the garage too! I will give TurboHoses a call and see what they recommend on there. Surprised that it happened really. Wasnít driving it hard at all. I do need to get my fuel and air ratio figured out as well. Running a little rich at this altitude (4500-4800 ft). I have a airlifter somewhere. Iíll probably contact you in regards where to plug to refill. Hopefully use a friends lift to get more familiar with everything and check on things

To drain the coolant, take off the left front wheel. You’ll see a blue u-shaped hose at the bottom of the radiator (I replaced when I did the HCV, it’s silicone). Pull that off and let the system drain. To refill using the airlift, you’ll put the fitting in the top of the plastic overflow tank. Use the cone shaped fitting, I couldn’t get the other ones to seal good enough to create a vacuum. Good luck.

Jack

I’d remove the hose and take a look at it to see if you can identify what might have caused the split.

after having 3 of my coolant lines go (first one was exactly where you described), I decided to remove all of the lines that were a certain brand and start anew. The processes outlined above worked great, and I used the opportunity to swap out some clamps for better style and add a cutoff for the heater core.

The turbo coolant lines go bad since they get really hot. They just get brittle. Yes, you can get super high temp tubing, but regular coolant tubing should be fine (and I believe thats what it originally came with. There is some silver heat protection sleeve fabric stuff, make sure it is pulled up over the tubing as it gets to the turbo. This is probably something you should just replace every 4-5 years so you won't have some issue at a time where it is a big deal. Def before a track event if you've never replaced them.

concur with airlift, but you can get lucky if you partially drain coolant resevoir and then QUICKLY swap hoses. You'll make a mess, but it should be fine. The air lift is critical if you get air in the front half of the cooling system.. but you can prob get away with the turbo lines if you do it fast.

Forgot, definitely get turbo blankets if you don't have them. I got the tan "lava" type garrett t-28 covers. Just google, can be found multiple places. I suspect this has helped a lot for both coolant lines, wiring and other things. I also got heat shields as well (from Rossion) and put a bunch of heat shield / sound deadener on firewall. The front turbo in particular can get pretty hot as airflow in that area is somewhat less. Haven't seen any melted wires, etc., so far so good.

Do you have a picture of the heat shields and who did you get them from?

Quote Originally Posted by esrandl View Post
    Forgot, definitely get turbo blankets if you don't have them.
    I hear mixed things about them.

Some swear by them, because they do reduce underhood/clam temps and keep nearby items cooler.
    Others swear against them because the blankets store that heat in the turbo, killing it prematurely.

I opted to do ceramic coating on mine with heat shields. The ceramic coating helps keep the turbo cooler, while letting it breathe. The heat shields keep the heat from more vulnerable parts like wiring and hoses. Seemed like a good compromise.

Yeah I think turbo blankets and heat shields are going to be coming. Help keep things in check. The cab does get pretty warm after about 45 min of driving. Anyone have a recommendation for coolant lines? I know turbo hoses is a good option for many of these items. Just curious if anyone has found something they really like and has worked good. Thanks!