Thread: Noble Rossion LED headlight conversion

Default Noble Rossion LED headlight conversion

All,
    If you look back through the archives there is a lot of message traffic regarding original halogen lights and complaints regarding. Many converted to HIDs and hid the extra weight (ballast, wiring) in the headlight bucket. I heard some rattling from front and eventually figured out the ballast (which is heavy) was double sided taped to bucket and had come loose. I converted BACK to regular Halogen bulbs to prevent this issue and save some weight.

Fast forward to 2022... LEDs are becoming common and much cheaper. With my car, you would see some light dimming at low rpms and supposedly LEDs use less power and do not have the flickering issue (plus may be brighter).

The original Noble/Rossion lights are H9's for both high and low beam. I looks at various reviews regarding LEDs and originally got some cheap-o lights.. which are NOT acceptable. The gasket fitment was poor and the light marginal. You get what you pay for. I then got some mid range but reasonably reviewed Lasfit brand LEDs. I am very impressed by the quality and fitment of these particular lights. They are listed as H8/9/11 bulbs and I believe they do this by removing the inner tabs that orient connector to a particular plug (the old H9's did have these tabs). I believe the Lasfits were between $40-50/pair. They fit both low and high. Another reason I got this particular brand is some LEDs have a large fan and some are part of connector and I didn't want something banging around. The "lumens" on these lights is 2000 per bulb, but reading online these measurements are highly suspect from manufacturer to manufacturer. Will include a pic of exact box which I got.

The existing connectors are just slide on tabs, so the exact socket of bulb doesn't matter. I was planning to convert over to an actual waterproof connector and have included a pic of connectors. This should be a fairly easy conversion and although I saw no corrosion in lights, it could be helpful as sometimes the light covers on Noble/Rossion can leak into bucket. I put one of the new connectors next to old Halogen to show socket. These can easily be found on ebay, etc. just search for H9 connectors. I got a set that include both male/female/all plugs/waterproof inserts pretty cheap. Yet another project I haven't finished...

There is some question as to whether the bulb pattern will be acceptable after converting to LEDs (from Halogen). I placed tape on two car ramps and the pic shows the light pattern appears absolutely identical from Halogen. See pic.

These lights are slightly brighter than Halogen and whiter. Not dramatically brighter, but acceptable for normal driving. I believe they are not quite as bright as my old HIDs, but that is from memory. I am including a pic of LED on passenger, Halogen on driver side for comparison.

The connectors are NOT identified by polarization in stock form (just black heat shrink wrap). I checked polarity and it might be easy to just put some red heat shrink on the positive side as I did in pic... but not sure it is important for these bulbs.

I see no flicker of lights whatsoever and I suspect there is slightly less load on electrical system/charging in general. The LEDs are 20W per bulb, not sure what the original Halogens draw.

Easy enough conversion, hope this helps.
    Name:  PXL_20220222_225222671.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  113.3 KBName:  PXL_20220222_225037375.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  146.4 KBName:  PXL_20220222_224948703.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  164.8 KBName:  PXL_20220222_224854352.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  135.9 KBName:  PXL_20211122_221855429.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  140.6 KBName:  PXL_20211122_223641241.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  92.7 KB

Thanks for the info @esrand. This is good stuff! I’ve been looking for a good LEDs to replace those anemic Rossini headlights for the early morning drives to the track for ages! I will definitely give these a try.

I would consider the Lasfits the lowest acceptable choice for selection even though I think they are fine. Since I bought them (late 2021..), there are already many web pages reviewing LED headlights that show options I hadn't seen before. The lumen number on the Lasfits is acceptable, but if I were to do it over again I would probably pay a little more and get a higher lumen bulb. Some of these go up to 10000 lumens (I am not sure if that is per SET or bulb and I think a lot of these are listed per set). I suspect the higher end bulbs can make more light than my old HIDs. I expect there is a little more heat, but I looked up actual power consumption and it is 80% less than standard Halogen so I presume they still don't get very hot even at higher lumen.

The thing I can confirm regarding Lasfits: they are plug and play, light is acceptable and cast an identical light pattern compared to Halogen. Apparently bulb design in some LEDs distorts the light pattern (at least that's what I read online).

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-90...odule-r80.html

Usually putting LED bulbs in a projector style light doesn’t gain you very much other than color temp being a brighter white. The LED lights use reflectors inside the housing. If you want to change to LED and have some money to spend I would try Hella 90mm LED lights. I’m planning on going this route. If it wasn’t so hard to remove the light bucket I would go with Hella’s Hi/low single light with integrated turn signal. Would save weight and simplify things, but would require closing up the two holes.
    Last edited by cooch8c; 02-28-2022 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks for the helpful information

I had also seen mention elsewhere that some times LEDs don't work with the reflectors well. For example: https://jalopnik.com/why-most-led-he...-ex-1843070472
    I can confirm that these exact bulbs have an identical light cutoff pattern from the stock Halogens (see pic, I marked the original pattern with the lower edge of the tape). It is possible the 'brightest' portion of the light is not exactly centered where the brightest portion of the Halogen despite the identical cutoff pattern. Not sure.. looks identical to me. The attached article does note that some bulbs do work fine.