Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Filtration Comparison: Paper vs Gauze Vs Foam

Default Video: Filtration Comparison: Paper vs Gauze Vs Foam

mms://media.tenmagazines.com/49.asf

If that doesn't work for you, try this:

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....aid=2007&sid=7

Pretty interesting stuff.

This would be the closest size for us. Our stock one has a 2.5" opening (5.5" wide at the widest point, tapering to a 4.5" diameter at the end, and the cone section itself is 4" long), which is an exact fit over the short metal tube which keeps the stock rubber hose from collapsing. This one is 2.75", which is an exact fit over the stock rubber hose.

2.75" inlet, 5.5" width, 6.5" long (including the tubing section). TrueFlow Part # 90200.

I guess it depends whether you accept his assertion that air filters have no affect on performance. Given this catches more, I'd expect it to be more restrictive, so of course he's going to say that...

sold : M12 GTO3

Well, they do provide a dyno comparison:

Along with SAE-J726 tests of a 8.3" x 6.3" x 3.25" filter:

Resistance at 200 cfm, dirty:

Paper: 5.6"
    Gauze: 6.3"
    Foam: 4.9"

Unfortunately, I don't know how SAE-J726 compares with ISO 5011 in terms of standardized testing, other than it's older.

I've seen some really really poorly performing oiled foam filters though (the infamously bad HKS unit):

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

Even then though, difference in HP is just 1 hp on a MK4 supra twin turbo.

Update: Found a paper vs gauze ISO 5011 test:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

I ran through the questions on a Unimog I have that I put a turbo motor in. The solution we came up with was to oversize the filter to such an extent that even when it was somewhat dirty it would still flow more than enough. I believe that's what he is recomending. Just go up in size.

JC

All,

When the need has arisen to replace or modify the standard filtration system on a vehicle we have always recommended going for the largest filter/s possible and ensuring that a supply of ambient temperature air from outside the engine bay is maintained to the level it originally was with the standard air filtration system in place. This is not to improve power, very very rarely does a different air filter make a difference to power output (providing the original was not overly restrictive), but rather to ensure the sufficient flow capacity was available in the future if required and also when the filters were dirty. With the price difference between sizes often being only a couple of pounds it rarely makes sense to scrimp on filter size.

For the 3 Litre Nobles with filters mounted in IC box we are developing a filter housing which mounts externally to the box but draws its air supply through the existing filter holes in the IC box - this is to ensure the cones are not blocking the flow of ambient air to the ends of the IC's core.

Best Regards
    Matt Faulks

Faulks Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Faulks Performance
    All,

When the need has arisen to replace or modify the standard filtration system on a vehicle we have always recommended going for the largest filter/s possible and ensuring that a supply of ambient temperature air from outside the engine bay is maintained to the level it originally was with the standard air filtration system in place. This is not to improve power, very very rarely does a different air filter make a difference to power output (providing the original was not overly restrictive), but rather to ensure the sufficient flow capacity was available in the future if required and also when the filters were dirty. With the price difference between sizes often being only a couple of pounds it rarely makes sense to scrimp on filter size.

For the 3 Litre Nobles with filters mounted in IC box we are developing a filter housing which mounts externally to the box but draws its air supply through the existing filter holes in the IC box - this is to ensure the cones are not blocking the flow of ambient air to the ends of the IC's core.

Best Regards
    Matt Faulks

Faulks Performance
    Matt,

Hopefully you'll keep me in mind for that upgrade too when you have it completed.

What are your thoughts on those cars where the filters are moved out of the IC box to the front where the air inlets are behind the driver and passenger windows? It seems that some of the early cars (GTO's) were designed that way and I have seen some 3R owners make that change. Any particular reason that the factory evolved the location to the IC box rather than keeping it at the front side intake vents?

Craig

Craig,

With the 3R evolution being aimed at an audience more concerned with noise levels etc. the filters were moved for NVH reasons and to ease the build process.

Its no bad thing as their supply of cold air is much improved, the only issue, as previously mentioned, is that they can block some ambient air flow to the IC core, the difference can be surprising on a hot day. With our IC the impact is less pronounced due to the fan setup.

Our induction system is being developed with ITG (Induction Technologies Group) and will consist of a pair of carbon fibre air boxes mounted inboard of the airbox. More details to follow when we've had chance to test the prototypes and collect some detailed data.

Best Regards
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Faulks Performance
    Our induction system is being developed with ITG (Induction Technologies Group) and will consist of a pair of carbon fibre air boxes mounted inboard of the airbox. More details to follow when we've had chance to test the prototypes and collect some detailed data.

Best Regards
    Matt
    Matt,
    How about doing a CF box to fit the my air scoop mod? Move the air filters in these and you'd still have lots of extra air for the engine bay.
    Regards
    Paul C

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cundy
    Matt,
    How about doing a CF box to fit the my air scoop mod? Move the air filters in these and you'd still have lots of extra air for the engine bay.
    Regards
    Paul C
    Not a problem Paul, I'll have a measure up next time I'm around your car. No reason we couldn't utilise the same air boxes we currently have in development and take the feed from the high pressure area in the side pod/scoop. Or would you prefer an integrated c/f scoop and airbox intake?

Could I also tempt you with this?

Although your exhausts may take the shine off the lacquer

Best Regards
    Matt

Faulks Performance
    Last edited by Faulks Performance; 04-20-2005 at 04:28 PM.