Thread: NA Noble engine

Default NA Noble engine

A company in the UK make a normally aspirated engine with 350 to 450 HP. Here is the email reply from mototune

Hi Dean,

Sorry for the slight delay but I've just got back from vacation.

We can supply motorsport units up to 3.4 litres and around 450bhp normally aspirated. In fact we have a 3.4 litre bottom end assembly in stock. This would form the basis of an excellent torquey 400bhp engine. A 3 litre race engine would make around 400bhp.

How driveable do you want this engine - a race engine will be a bit 'cammy'?

We could rebuild yuor engine into a 350bhp unit but the higher powers require the Jaguar cylinder heads with direct acting valvegear.

regards

Roger Allen
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)

Sounds awesome Dean....are you thinking about keeping yours now? Also, you have the upgraded mapping on yours right? I was told they weren't doing that anymore by 1g because of "over boosting"? What's up with that?

Chad

I have never had any overboosting problems. I do have a BOV though that I added.

Mine is still for sale. I thought someone might be interested in building a new car with a non-turbo engine.

Chad, someone made an offer to trade me for a Viper on ebay.
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)

Sounds good at first, but there would have to be some re engineering of the exhaust system to fit into the Noble chassis.

I can see where torque might be a problem, and this would translate into problems of tractability on the road.

With variable valve timing, I can see this working, but with standard valve timing...Perhaps stroked to 3.5 liters. But then what of a turbo 3.5 liter? In any case, it would take a ton of technology to make it work as a road engine. The cost would far exceed the cost of building a reliable turbocharged engine.

When all is said and done, the turbo engine would squash it in HP and torque production. High RPM is not required to make big HP numbers, and you could hardly call the Noble combination "soft" on the bottom end.

I don't like turbo engines all that much, in spite of the fact that I own a few of them at the moment. The proof of the turbo concept becomes very clear after driving a Honda 2000, a perfect example of a small engine with huge specific power output. No bottom end torque, little top end torque, and a good Miata will yank its pants off below 50 mph around town. There are just some combinations that work better with a turbocharged engine. The Noble happens to be one of them.

I can cite lots of examples of this, from the original Group 4 Renault R5Turbo and Audi Quattro sport, to the Ferrari F 40 and the EVO. We can discuss the current turbo racers as well.

When they build a Noble that will fit an LS7, well, then I might ditch the turbos.

Ah, the Viper. The fat chick of sports cars. I like Vipers, but trade a Noble for one??? That would be like trading Kate Moss for Kate Smith.