Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when 488rwhp ain't enough?

Default What do you do when 488rwhp ain't enough?

You add more. From Seth today, "The dyno charts represent 539 HP and 535FtLbs of torque retuned with more agressive ignition timing mapping, fuel injection timing and running 1.46bar of boost on 100 octane unleaded race gas- as a note, the car will pull peak horse power and torque longer but where you see the power and torque fall off on the chart is where the Hoosier A6 tires kept getting wheel spin!! Air fuel ratios and boost pressure are on the second page and as you can see are running perfect at 12.5 AFR and at 23 lbs of boost (1.46 BAR)."

Holy c(@p, Derek!

I think you get the world record for Noble HP......and being able to control it on the track.
    Dino

Sarthe Grey Rossion Q1 (Sold to a good home in Colorado)
    Wolf GB08 LMP3/CN Sports Prototype www.motorsports-sw.com www.wolfracingcars.com
    Red 2006 A4 (slow but good gas mileage)
    2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Awesome Highway & Tow Vehicle w/Torque and High MPG)

Very impressive number. Just a thought...The thing gains 200 HP between 3650 and 4750 and just keeps on going with another 100 Hp over the next 1000 RPM. The torque climbs at about the same rate, peaking out with max HP. Just how easy is this thing going to be to drive? In the wet? ( I occasionally do track days in the rain).

It is as peaky as a Honda S2000, but with WAY more power to get in trouble with.

Perhaps a more gradual increase in HP, and a nice , say 3000 RPM wide plateau of torque might be more useable, not to mention easier on the trans and tires.

It's time to get going with the cams to flatten out those peaks.

Your work has been quite good and has answered some questions that I had about how the engine would respond to more boost.

Quote Originally Posted by S.J.Morgan
    Very impressive number. Just a thought...The thing gains 200 HP between 3650 and 4750 and just keeps on going with another 100 Hp over the next 1000 RPM. The torque climbs at about the same rate, peaking out with max HP. Just how easy is this thing going to be to drive? In the wet? ( I occasionally do track days in the rain).

It is as peaky as a Honda S2000, but with WAY more power to get in trouble with.

Perhaps a more gradual increase in HP, and a nice , say 3000 RPM wide plateau of torque might be more useable, not to mention easier on the trans and tires.

It's time to get going with the cams to flatten out those peaks.

Your work has been quite good and has answered some questions that I had about how the engine would respond to more boost.
    S.J.- Due to the larger turbos, boost can't come in significantly until around 3500 rpm and we have tried all manner of things to get them spooled up earlier (less upgraded cams)- When it comes in though as you can see, it is very linear and smooth- just violent, like a big N.A. motor.
    It does gain HP quickly through a few thousand RPM but you only have till our pre set redline at soft cut 7300 rpm, hard cut at 7500 (valve train will spin to 8000 nicely but not tuned for that yet) basically, trying to bring the power in more gradually than this finds us running out of rpm and power band to match the gearing.- the power is not really peaky like you see on the dyno sheet anyway. We have gotten wheel spin on the dyno at the point you see because of the Hoosier A6 tires but from driving the car, i can tell you that the car pulls hard to 7300 rpm.
    Yes, in the wet it is a beast- just like driving an old 935 Porsche- no traction control, no abs and but loads of power. I find that kind of challenging drive exhilerating but maybe not for everyone.
    As always, every tuning mod will be eclipsed by new upgrades as we continue to dial in the Horse Power AND drivability. Seth

Quote Originally Posted by techdimensions
    S.J.- Due to the larger turbos, boost can't come in significantly until around 3500 rpm and we have tried all manner of things to get them spooled up earlier (less upgraded cams)- When it comes in though as you can see, it is very linear and smooth- just violent, like a big N.A. motor.
    It does gain HP quickly through a few thousand RPM but you only have till our pre set redline at soft cut 7300 rpm, hard cut at 7500 (valve train will spin to 8000 nicely but not tuned for that yet) basically, trying to bring the power in more gradually than this finds us running out of rpm and power band to match the gearing.- the power is not really peaky like you see on the dyno sheet anyway. We have gotten wheel spin on the dyno at the point you see because of the Hoosier A6 tires but from driving the car, i can tell you that the car pulls hard to 7300 rpm.
    Yes, in the wet it is a beast- just like driving an old 935 Porsche- no traction control, no abs and but loads of power. I find that kind of challenging drive exhilerating but maybe not for everyone.
    As always, every tuning mod will be eclipsed by new upgrades as we continue to dial in the Horse Power AND drivability. Seth
    I'm very curious to see where your 0 to 60 and quarter mile figures are now, when you get around to it.

Truly awesome guys!
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Quote Originally Posted by DrDaKine
    I'm very curious to see where your 0 to 60 and quarter mile figures are now, when you get around to it.
    And 0-100mph times.
    2006 Noble M400 NUS0146-Greg Robb assembly; Hooverization in progress.
    2007 Audi RS4-MTM 540PS Opcon/Lysholm twin-screw supercharger/Laminova intercooler/exhaust/clutch/LWFW, Stasis Ohlins, Hotchkis sways-"The Cherry Bomb."
    2005 Porsche 911 (996) TurboSCab-Protosport "GT2RSCabriolet," RWD conversion,4.0L, Tial A3076's, 800+HP on 93 octane.
    1997 Porsche 911 (993) Turbo-Protosport 3.8L, twin plug, GT3076R's, 700+HP.

well done Seth that an awesome move forwards

the Dyno you tested the car on can measure 1200 hp at the wheels - if you need any advice on how to strap it drop me a line (I work for Dyno Dynamics)

I know of another car in the USA that made significantly more power - but was far more laggy - you may have built the perfect engine

what mods to the cylinder heads did you do (if any) and was it m400 turbo's on there

Great result

Could the rain/traction issue be dealt with by using a "valet switch" type of thing that limits boost to 12 psi or so? Either way a hell of a job! I too am curious about the numbers this will produce but not so much that I want you to break a tranny over it

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeroonie
    ... and was it m400 turbo's on there[?]
    AFAIK, Derek switched the turbos to the GT28RS.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Lotus Elise, SY, SCCA T2 legal.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.