Thread: Noble 3R & M400 OEM Wheel Weights

Default Noble 3R & M400 OEM Wheel Weights

Ok, it's official. I climbed up to my attic and weighed my original OEM 3R wheels this morning. Are you ready for this?.........the front wheels weigh 28.0 lbs. each The rear wheels weigh 30.0 lbs. each (with center caps and air valves attached). That means that since my HRE 540R's weigh 22lbs. (front) and 23 lbs. (rear), I reduced the weight of the car by a total of 26 lbs. Guess I can have that double-cheese Whopper for lunch now.

Nothing to really get too excited about, but.......

Noble M12 GTO 3R with every option......... $90,000
    HRE 540R's with high polish finish and engraved emblems ............. $ 4,000
    Weight savings & bling factor .........Priceless

P.S. For M400 owners, I have to assume the same weights for their wheels (unless the black powdercoat is heavier than the silver)

Craig

I figured they were heavy but that is amazing. Thanks for the info. So switching to a quality 3 piece wheels like HRE or Fikse will take 26-33 pounds of weight out of the wheels, that would make a dramatic difference in acceleration and braking. It is a similar effect to the car being 150-200 pounds lighter.

Absolutely amazing. From appearances the stock wheels don't look that heavy, but wow.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Lotus Elise, SY, SCCA T2 legal.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

Indeed. Pro race teams can spend mega bucks to shave even a minor amount of un-sprung weight (wheels, brakes, tires, etc) because low un-sprung weight is the holy grail of handling. I often switched back and forth between race wheels and tires and a road set-up for my Lotus Super 7 where the difference was about 4 lbs/corner, and the improvement in the general "feel" and livliness of the car was like night and day with the race set up.
    Last edited by Joel; 03-20-2005 at 11:25 AM.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Wow, that is very heavy. Thanks for taking the time to measure yours, Craig. We all appreciate it!

Guess it's time to start looking around.