Thread: Sequential shift lights

Default Sequential shift lights

I'm thinking of getting a sequential shift light for my Noble and see that Paul has one on his steering wheel. Does anyone have recommendations on brands and mounting?
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Lotus Elise, SY, SCCA T2 legal.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

Quote Originally Posted by No Lotus
    I'm thinking of getting a sequential shift light for my Noble and see that Paul has one on his steering wheel. Does anyone have recommendations on brands and mounting?
    I've found that you don't have much time to look at lights under full throttle while trying to keep the car going in a straight line or around a corner. I rely on my ears most of the time to tell me when to shift. You learn to know the sound at 6,000 rpm.

Craig

I agree, and fewer distractions are generally better. I can imagine, though, that shift lights could be a nice back-up to the tach if it were to go south for some reason while on a spirited drive.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

Quote Originally Posted by caccobra
    You learn to know the sound at 6,000 rpm.
    Craig
    ... or 7,000 rpm.

Probably you're right that it's more a distraction, but I'd like to try it. At least some people claim they're quite useful. There's a video somewhere on PH of a Noble being run with a sequential system mounted on top of the instrument cluster. Paul did a very clean installation on the steering wheel using the Omex unit and I'd be inclined to do something like that.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

Les try this. Paul, do you like your shift light and why or why not? Would you do it again or recommend it? What would you change?

I have been researching shiftlights and found that there is a direct replacement tach with shiftlights. I have emails form the US distributor and the manufacturer in the UK that says it is pulg and play except you need to add two switches which are used to set the shiftpoints. Here is the link for the US dist. http://www.gaugeguys.com/Smiths/motorsport.htm

Same 100mm size. Avaibale in different RPM ranges including 0-8000. It is oriented a little different than the stock one. 0 is at 5:00, 8000 is about 1:00. Reason being redline is at 12:00 for easy recognition. Can splice to existing wires. Just add in switches for set-up is what they tell me. Sale price $285. Dean T

sorry I obviously can't type today....Dean T

Quote Originally Posted by turnbaugh
    I have been researching shiftlights and found that there is a direct replacement tach with shiftlights. I have emails form the US distributor and the manufacturer in the UK that says it is pulg and play except you need to add two switches which are used to set the shiftpoints. Here is the link for the US dist. http://www.gaugeguys.com/Smiths/motorsport.htm

Same 100mm size. Avaibale in different RPM ranges including 0-8000. It is oriented a little different than the stock one. 0 is at 5:00, 8000 is about 1:00. Reason being redline is at 12:00 for easy recognition. Can splice to existing wires. Just add in switches for set-up is what they tell me. Sale price $285. Dean T
    That looks like a neat solution. It'd be good to know, however, how bright that shift light is. My Elise has a single shift light at the top of the tachometer and it's not at all obvious when accelerating fast. I'd really like something quite bright and a bit "in your face" so that I'll actually notice it in my peripheral vision. Short of putting the lights in your helmet, the top of the steering wheel seems about as in your face as you can get. Here's an image of a Spa steering wheel with a series of built-in sequential lights.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg944t
    Les try this. Paul, do you like your shift light and why or why not? Would you do it again or recommend it? What would you change?
    Yes its brilliant. Its certainly bright enough but not "in your face" - actually where I sit (I'm 6' 3") they are just on the edge of my peripheral vision so they work brilliantly. Listen to the engine? - well when you are concentrating and have a full face helmet on its suprising how little you are aware of the engine noise. As you turn the wheel you tend to incline your head as well so it all stays relative.

Mine was an Omex shift light system which has a light block on a long fly lead. I sourced a coily lead and wired that between the light block and the unit under the dash. The light block I embedded in the top of the steering wheel and re-stitched the leather.

The only draw back is that at night driving home from a circuit they are quite bright and can distract - so I plan to put in a master on off switch so I can turn them off if wanted.

Regards
    Paul C

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cundy
    Yes its brilliant. Its certainly bright enough but not "in your face" - actually where I sit (I'm 6' 3") they are just on the edge of my peripheral vision so they work brilliantly. Listen to the engine? - well when you are concentrating and have a full face helmet on its suprising how little you are aware of the engine noise. As you turn the wheel you tend to incline your head as well so it all stays relative.
    That's great to hear. I just need to do as clean a job installing it.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.