Thread: Serpentine Belt Drive Noise

Default Serpentine Belt Drive Noise

Does this mean the tensioner needs replaced already? Or is it simply gunk on the belt? Just wondering if anyone knows before I start trying some things. The belt is in great shape.
    AttAkker

Former Owner- 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R #68

Quote Originally Posted by AttAkker
    Does this mean the tensioner needs replaced already? Or is it simply gunk on the belt? Just wondering if anyone knows before I start trying some things. The belt is in great shape.
    I had the same issue for the first 2000 miles or so but it only "squeked" while the car was warming up (cold), after the warmup it completely went away... now it does not seem to do it at all... the only sugestion i have is to use the back end of the screw driver (a large one) and put some pressure on the belt while running slipping the belt on it... if the noise stops or changes pitch your issue is probably in the tensioner.

Another thing to take a look at is to make sure it isn't rubbing on the scat tubes (air duct tubes for those who weren't around for that discussion) that run from the passenger side scoop. They are just beneath the serpentine belt near the A/C compressor and if not zip-tied properly the belt can rub on it and make some noise from time to time.

I believe Chad said your belt and alternator were replaced shortly before you bought the car.

Quote Originally Posted by m400
    I had the same issue for the first 2000 miles or so but it only "squeked" while the car was warming up (cold), after the warmup it completely went away... now it does not seem to do it at all... the only sugestion i have is to use the back end of the screw driver (a large one) and put some pressure on the belt while running slipping the belt on it... if the noise stops or changes pitch your issue is probably in the tensioner.
    Interesting. I recently hit 3300, and it was making the noise even after it's warmed up. But I will try your pressure test and see.
    AttAkker

Quote Originally Posted by caccobra
    Another thing to take a look at is to make sure it isn't rubbing on the scat tubes (air duct tubes for those who weren't around for that discussion) that run from the passenger side scoop. They are just beneath the serpentine belt near the A/C compressor and if not zip-tied properly the belt can rub on it and make some noise from time to time.

I believe Chad said your belt and alternator were replaced shortly before you bought the car.
    Hmm, now this seems to maybe be it. I did notice some tiny black scrapings like it would be hitting the duct tube. I looked there, but maybe it is slightly touching.

The alternator was replaced before I bought the car when it went to 1G for a check up
    AttAkker

I have changed my belt every year. Sometime the noise goes away for months and other belts in weeks. I want to change the Tensioner. Anyone have a part number? What model year is the AER motors?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by csxt016 View Post
    I have changed my belt every year. Sometime the noise goes away for months and other belts in weeks. I want to change the Tensioner. Anyone have a part number? What model year is the AER motors?

Mike
    One thing that you should check is to see if the bracket that holds the AC compressor is installed strait. I had some work done on my car that involve taking off that bracket and they installed it with a washer underneath the rear single foot. I had your exact problem and occasionally it would through the belt. You can check this by putting a strait edge on the AC pulley and seeing if it is parallel with the other pulleys. You should check the alignment on all of them while you're at it. Also check to see if the belt is in the correct grooves. It can easily be out of position.

Jake

I've run into more worn out idler pulleys than worn out tensioners - you might want to check the idler pulley first.