Thread: Exhaust Sound: Anyone drive or hear an Elise? Louder than Noble?

Default Exhaust Sound: Anyone drive or hear an Elise? Louder than Noble?

I finally got a ride in an Elise, and was very surprised at how much louder the exhaust is than my car. The Elise had the standard exhaust (not even the stage 2 or Quicksilver), but it was noticably louder at idle, and much louder when running through the powerband. My Noble's exhaust isn't 100% stock, so I don't know if it's louder or quieter. I'm guessing it's a tad bit louder. I got to look up those other Noble owners in Southern California and check out the differences.

Anyone else get a chance to compare their Noble, sound wise, to an Elise?

I have an Elise and have been driven around for a short while in Joel's M12 and my recollection is that with the windows up the engine noise is greater in the M12 whereas the road noise is greater in the Elise. As far as the exhaust sound in the Elise, I have the stock exhaust and certainly don't consider it overly loud.
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Lotus Elise, SY, SCCA T2 legal.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

Hmm, the engine noise was louder in the M12? The mystery grows. I found the engine to be louder in the Elise, at around the same points in the powerband.

I have LizardSkin on the firewall and center tunnel in my car. In theory, it's supposed to reduce noise by 10-12dB. That may account for some of the difference.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

I think the noble is quiter in the cabin, but if you are following behind etc, the noble is a lot louder and you can hear it from further away.

sold : M12 GTO3

Quote Originally Posted by DanH
    I think the noble is quiter in the cabin, but if you are following behind etc, the noble is a lot louder and you can hear it from further away.
    Well, I had the chance to listen to Joel's car from a distance as he drove down the long straight several times at Buttonwillow. Ground Loop from Elisetalk aptly described Joel's car as "quiet as all stealth".
    Ferrari 308GTSi.
    Lotus Elise, SY, SCCA T2 legal.
    Noble M400, 515bhp.

I really have to meet up with another Noble to hear the stock exhaust. I'm all curious now.
    RacePrecision GotApex

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." ~ Horace Mann

Quote Originally Posted by No Lotus
    Well, I had the chance to listen to Joel's car from a distance as he drove down the long straight several times at Buttonwillow. Ground Loop from Elisetalk aptly described Joel's car as "quiet as all stealth".
    Well I had an old k series Elise, and followed the Noble I currently own now. When the previous owner dropped the hammer in the noble, it was louder and carried a lot further. Not as bussy or trebbly as my sports exhaust Elise though, and you definitely don't get as much noise in the cabin.

Forced induction cars seldom sound as loud as NA anyway, and the yota engined Elise does rev higher.

sold : M12 GTO3

8. Default

Not sure how it compares "db"wise to the Elise but at an autocross several people commented on how quite the exhaust was and what a cool "Starwars" sound it made (wastegates).
    -- Mike
    04 Noble M12 GTO-3R (Robb and Hoover)
    http://www.turbohoses.com/Nobleperformance.htm
    97 3000GT VR-4
    00 Dakota Sport