Thread: Oil Consumption

Default Oil Consumption

Ok, I am @ 4500 miles and still burning 1 qt about every 500-1000k miles. Is this the norm? As you may know from previous posts on this, the original owner went from mineral to Mobil 5W30 Synth @ the 1st oil change around 1300 miles.
    AttAkker

Former Owner- 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R #68

Yes, check with Mike if you're worried, but that is consistent with my experience after almost 10K miles and 4-5 oil changes (plans for a normal oil change interval were upset by oil pan leak and associated repairs).
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I will call Mike @ 1G and get his thoughts. I am not concerned, the car is running marvelous. Just curious if this is the norm for some other owners. I am ready for an oil change so I was trying to see if I should stay the course with 5W30 Synth. Track pan .vs standard pan don't come into play at all with consumption does it?
    AttAkker

Former Owner- 2004 Noble M12 GTO 3R #68

No problem with 5W-30, IMO. And the track pan should not be a factor, either.
    It is important, however, to avoid overfilling since that tends to drive oil out the valve cover breathers into the swirl pot (especially during spirited driving ), and that oil can end up in the front turbo. Oiled intake air makes things kind of messy, although no real harm is done.
    Joel

'67 Lotus Elan S3 DHC (owned since 1970)
    '17 Ford Focus RS

I burn a quart every 700-1000 miles when I am off the track. On track I burn one, sometimes two a day.

I have had the leaky oil pan; actually I am on my third with the fourth waiting for install... That, a vacuum leak and rewiring the fuel pump have been my only issues after 5,300 miles.

I have used both styles of the track pan (previous threads on this ~different oil-pickup cans) and the oil consumption was different, but that's because all three have had different degrees of 'leak' from the cracks in the oil pan flange(s). My current oil pan leaks the least, so I figure that I'm closer to 1,000 miles per quart of oil currently.
    Last edited by M400#117; 12-12-2006 at 11:06 PM.
    '05 M400 #117 wingless
    '08 MDX tech, sport & entertainment -can you do .84g in an SUV?
    '06 Civic Hybrid 92hp and it's the fastest 'single occupant' car in L.A...
    '01 Vino stupid fun
    '91 CRX 2.0 liter Vtec, 315 supercharged hp, sleepy HF...

The couple of cars that I have driven over 1000 miles show no oil useage at all. One of them was a fresh break-in running 5W20 mineral over 800 miles. It used no oil during the break-in cycle. I was surprised, as many Noble owners report some oil useage.

The other is a test car that I have made two long trips in. It runs 10W40 dinosaur, and also used no oil. However, this car is currently in the hands of magazine testers, and may actually use some oil. I did top it off before handing it over, and marked the mileage. It will get plenty of track and road use over the next couple of days. I will let you know when I get it back at the end of the week.

Mike really has more data on what the average useage is. A quart/1000 miles is not a bad number, and Quart/200-2500, or a quart between changes is not out of line with modern engines and low tension piston rings.

Break in is important, and if you change over to synthetic before the rings have seated, you can have a steady rate of oil useage.

Bringing it back from the dead again.
    Since it has been a few yrs , what have all the members been averaging for oil consumption ?
    Can everyone please chime in on their cars?

Are oil consumption a norm on these engines?